flatten = F = flavorful

flavor n.

1. [common] Variety, type, kind. "DDT commands come in two flavors." "These lights come in two flavors, big red ones and small green ones." "Linux is a flavor of Unix" See vanilla. 2. The attribute that causes something to be flavorful. Usually used in the phrase "yields additional flavor". "This convention yields additional flavor by allowing one to print text either right-side-up or upside-down." See vanilla. This usage was certainly reinforced by the terminology of quantum chromodynamics, in which quarks (the constituents of, e.g., protons) come in six flavors (up, down, strange, charm, top, bottom) and three colors (red, blue, green) -- however, hackish use of `flavor' at MIT predated QCD. 3. The term for `class' (in the object-oriented sense) in the LISP Machine Flavors system. Though the Flavors design has been superseded (notably by the Common LISP CLOS facility), the term `flavor' is still used as a general synonym for `class' by some LISP hackers.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

Fla"vor (?), n. [OF. fleur, flaur (two syllables), odor, cf. F. fleurer to emit an odor, It. flatore a bad odor, prob. fr. L. flare to bow, whence the sense of exhalation. Cf. Blow.] [Written also flavour.]

1.

That quality of anything which affects the smell; odor; fragrances; as, the flavor of a rose.

2.

That quality of anything which affects the taste; that quality which gratifies the palate; relish; zest; savor; as, the flavor of food or drink.

3.

That which imparts to anything a peculiar odor or taste, gratifying to the sense of smell, or the nicer perceptions of the palate; a substance which flavors.

4.

That quality which gives character to any of the productions of literature or the fine arts.

 

© Webster 1913.


Fla"vor, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Flavored (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Flavoring.]

To give flavor to; to add something (as salt or a spice) to, to give character or zest.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.