Marskin ryyppy is a famous Finnish alcoholic drink. It's name comes from Marshall C.G.E. Mannerheim, or affectionately, 'Marski'. Marskin ryyppy approximately means 'Marski's Drink'.

Mannerheim learnt the custom of drinking vodka from a shot glass filled to the brim in the Russian army, where a part of wages were paid as drinks. An officer like Mannerheim got one shot of vodka at breakfast and two at dinner. Of course everyone wanted as much alcohol as they could get, so they filled their glasses as full as possible.

During the Winter War, the actual Marskin ryyppy was born. The Finnish government had moved to Mikkeli to avoid the bombing of Helsinki, and commander-in-chief Mannerheim often dined at Mikkelin Suomalainen klubi. There Mannerheim continued the custom of having a drink before a meal. However, the quality of the Finnish alcohol available was rather poor. He therefore asked his adjutant Lieutenant-Colonel Ragnar Grönwall to devise a better drink.

A week later, Grönwall came up with what has ever since been know as Marskin ryyppy. There are several versions of this drink. One is made up of one centilitre of Rajamäki aquavitae, two centilitres of dry French vermouth and one centilitre of gin. In the other version the amount of aquavitae has been increased to one litre. Apparently, the original version of Marskin ryyppy contained half a litre of Pöytäviina, one centilitre of gin and two of vermouth. In any case, Marskin ryyppy is supposed to be served ice cold, in V-shaped glasses which have been frozen. The glass should be filled to the brim, and you shouldn't spill your drink. Apparently, Mannerheim used to make sarcastic remarks of people who spilled their drinks at his table.

In 1990, Mikkelin Suomalainen klubi secured a copyright on Marskin ryyppy. They sold the right to produce the drink to Allied Domecq. You can now buy Marskin ryyppy at your local Alko.


Sources:
http://www.mannerheim.fi/10_ylip/s_ryyppy.htm
http://www.publiscan.fi/cu03e-8.htm
http://www.kolumbus.fi/juomanlaskija/arkisto/2000-5/marski.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.