Some thoughts on the Mormon Experience in Nauvoo.

The liberal charter granted to the city of Nauvoo was modeled after, and very similar, to similar charters issued to nearby towns. However, the interpretation of Joseph Smith and other Mormon leaders was unique. Jospeh was both leader of the church and mayor of Nauvoo. The manner in which the civic government of Nauvoo was run violated church and state on a scale seldom if ever seen again; for all intents and purposed the church ran the city of Nauvoo.

Initially welcomed by surrounding communities several things begin to anger previous residents. The local newspaper in Carthage is vehemently anti-Mormon, and is a primary cause in creating a violent attitude towards the Mormons. However, it is able to play on several very real problems.

Mormon immigration in Nauvoo, from both Missouri and overseas missions, ensured that within short order Nauvoo had enough political clout to dominate local elections and enforce their political will on the surrounding communities, if they voted in a block; which they did. The mormons voted whoever Joseph voted, a problem Joseph F. Smith and others would have to address as Utah bid for stateship later. Nearby residents where understandably concerned about a new religious group controlling local politics.

Joseph and other Church leaders also had trouble dealing with differing opinions and conflict. This created an us vs. them attitude which not only create internal problems, but feed external ones as well. Had Joseph and other church leaders understood how their own behaviours made things worse, Nauvoo may very well have survived as a Mormon community. As it was, there response to outside concerns was to blame jealousy and "persecution of the righteous", rather than understand outside concerns and work to address them. It should be noted that had church leaders learned this lesson in Jackon County, MI, and Kirtland, OH, the 1838 Mormon war in Missouri may well have been averted, leaving the Mormons to settle in Far West and Adamondaomin rather than come to Nauvoo.

The Mormons where forced from Nauvoo by the intolerance and prejudice of their neighbors, but their own actions only served to create problems rather than solve them. Because this pattern had occurred before, in Kirtland and twice in Missouri, Joseph Smith and other leaders must share some blame for the fall of Nauvoo.

For more on Nauvoo, I recommend the book :
Nauvoo, Kingdom on the Mississippi, by Robert Flanders. From Mississippi Press. Required reading for many of the tour guides in Nauvoo.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.