Principal Characteristics
Length: 44'0"
Waterline: 34'7.5"
Beam, Maximum: 12'4.75"
Draft, Empty: 7'3"
Height, Waterline: 65'0"
Height, Mast: 64'3"
Displacement, Empty: 27,654 lbs.
Ballast: 12,310 lbs.
Sail Area: 956.37 sq. ft.

Sail Plan
No. 1 Genoa
No. 2 Genoa
No. 3 Jib
No. 4 Jib
Stormsail (Storm Jib)
Spinnaker, Heavy (1.5 oz)
Spinnaker, Light No. 1 (1.0 oz)
Spinnaker, Light No. 2 (0.5 oz)
Mainsail
Storm Trysail

Throughout the history of the Naval Academy, a series of one-design offshore sailboats has been maintained by the Academy to train midshipmen in tactics, general seamanship, as well as small unit leadership. The first flight of these boats was designed by boat designer Bill Luders shortly after World War II. The 12 boats were made of wood, and served in offshore training and many Chesapeake Bay daysails for 25 years- durability unheard of in the world of racing sailboats. After this, the Academy acquired Flight II, a 12 boat series of boats with the same design as Flight I, but hulls of fiberglass, an auxiliary diesel engine, and a navigation space with navigation instruments. These boats lasted until the early 1980's when Congress funded Flight III, the current iteration of Navy 44's.

Captain John Bonds, Commodore Naval Academy Sailing Squadron laid out the design requirements for Flight III in 1984, which was put forward in the Fales Committee design contest. The design firm of McCurdy & Rhodes of Cold Spring Harbor, New York won the competition. The construction contract was given to Tillotson-Pearson, Inc. of Warren, Rhode Island. NA-1, the first boat of Flight III was delivered in 1987 and was used by CAPT Bonds in intensive testing and sea trials. Since then, the line has been expanded to 20 boats in three acquisition series (NA-1 through NA-8, NA-9 through NA-12, and NA-13 through NA-20).

The Navy 44 is well-fitted for its current role, with a hull speed of about 8 knots and a maximum speed of 12 knots, racing sails and fittings, a maximum crew of 12 (although it can be sailed single-handed) and advanced navigation equipment such as a Raytheon R-20 radar, GPS, Loran D, and a complete radio stack.

Congress had planned to replace the current Navy 44's with a Flight IV to be put to sea in 2008, although the recent campaign against terrorism of 2001-2002 eliminated those funds. The plan has not yet been brought back to the floor.

Sources:
Boat Information Book for the Navy 44
Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and Regulations for Large Sail Training Craft at the United States Naval Academy (DNASINST 3120.1D)
http://www.nadn.navy.mil/SailingTeam/csnts/44_Pics/navy44.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.