The Saint John Electric Light Company first produced electricity for sale in New Brunswick in 1884. In the 1800s, electricity was used to run electric trolleys for public transportation, to operate sugar refineries and iron foundries, to fuel the growth of the emerging railway industry and provide light and power to other businesses, skating rinks and some homes.

By World War I, about 20 organizations were producing power in New Brunswick. In 1920, the government set up the New Brunswick Electric Power Commission. The Great Depression slowed the pace of development, but NB Power continued to expand. World War II brought military training bases to the province and NB Power supplied them with electricity and distribution systems. The next big step was the post-war Rural Electrification Program to bring electricity to the farms and small communities in the province.

The energy crisis in the 1970s led to a new push for conservation. NB Power started to plan more multi-fuel facilities and a nuclear generating station. Through the 1980s and 1990s, NB Power added a CANDU reactor at Point Lepreau to its generating mix and continued to improve the technical and environmental performance of its generating and distribution system.

NB Power now delivers electricity directly to over 316,000 customers and has a capacity of 4116 megawatts at sixteen generating stations.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.