Nido is a form of powdered milk sold in the Americas, especially Mexico and south. Currently owned by Nestlé, Nido is sold in sealed cans to be used where refrigeration can be problematic. To reconstitute the powder back into milk, add four tablespoons per eight ounces of water.

Nido Fortificada adds in Vitamin D & C, plus extra calcium, iron and zinc. This is helpful for growing children in impoverished areas so they can be healthier. The yellow can is printed primarily in Spanish with English added just in case in smaller letters.

You may be familiar with the general powdered milk you can buy in the grocery store. It's quite overpriced, especially since I find the taste to be a bit on the horrific side, as if you made milk with  juice you drained from an old can of corn

Nido, however, is not found in many US grocery stores unless they have a decent hispanic or ethnic food section. This is unfortunate, because it tastes far superior to the bland American-marketed milk substitutes. It tastes somewhere between whole milk and two percent, and it does taste like cow milk. It's good enough that I sometimes use a couple of teaspoons in my cuppa as a creamer. I purchase it through Amazon. If I buy a whole gallon of milk it tends to go bad when there's a quarter of it left. I switched to Nido because I can make it whenever I need milk for a recipe or when I want a bowl of Raisin Bran. It also works great for Instant Pot mozzarella or when I want to make some homemade ice cream.

Although the can will last two to three months after it is opened and placed back on a shelf, I store my can in the fridge so it can go to six months. 

If your milk goes bad before you're done, give Nido a try.

npecom says: Worth noting that the Spanish word for "nest" is also "nido". Cheers!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.