Nokia phones have several secret codes.

One that works on all phones is the *#06# which will show you your IMEI (serial) number.

Another one is *#92702689# will also shows your serial number, month and year of manufacture, purchasing date (which you can set yourself if your dealer hasn't; actually all phones I've seen has this unset. Beware, you can only ever set this once. I set mine to january, 2020.) You can also see last time of repair, and there's a scary menu item called transfer user data which I believe is some sort of memory dump or flash option or something. To get out of the menu you have to reboot your cellular.

If you have a serial cable, programs such as gnokii can enable a hidden menu called Net Monitor which will show you tons and tons of useless debugging information. Some of the information will tell you the temperature of your cellurar, the distance to the nearest base station etc. Perhaps you can triangulate this stuff to get some sort of poor man's GPS.

The big daddy of all the nokia programming codes is *3001#12345#

There's no need to press anything else, just hit the last # and it'll go into the menu. there's all sorts of strange things in there, most of which I'm unsure of the meaning. Mostly I like leaving my phone in test mode and I can watch my phone switch cell towers as well as watch how strong a signal is. Just be careful, as it is possible to essentially remove your phone from the network. to get out of the menu, simply reboot the phone.

(a note: this code works on virtually all nokias, except for (in my experiences) a specific model of GSM phone)

The codes I know of and have tested are as follows:

  • *#0000# gives your phone's firmware revision number and date.
  • *#06# gives your phone's IMEI number.

These codes apparently work on all Nokia phones. I have only tested this code to work on a Nokia 7110, Nokia 6210, and Nokia 8250:

  • *#92702689# (*#war0anty#) - displays a secret menu. On the Nokia 6210 this displays a menu that says:
    1. Serial number - displays the IMEI number.
    2. Made - gives the manufacturing date, on my first generation Nokia 6210 it says 0900 (presumably September 2000)
    3. Purchased - presumably gets set with a 4-digit number that should say when you bought the phone. I have never seen this set when it was bought.
    4. Repaired - presumably another 4-digit number that says when you last had the phone fixed. Since I never needed to have my phone repaired, this is set to 0000.
    5. Transfer user data - I'm afraid to activate this option, as it sounds somewhat ominous. I don't have a data cable and I have no idea what it might do.

    To get out of the 'war0anty' menu you need to power cycle your phone.

The listed "*3001#12345#" code is actually what we in the cellular industry refer to as the "Long programming code".

This code only actually functions (usefully) on TDMA and CDMA phones. The reason for this being that with both CDMA and TDMA phones, your number is registered on the network within terms of the serial code (ESN) of your phone, and thus the phone needs to be programmed with the SID, SOC, and various network programming necessary to your phone picking up the correct providers.

Which all operates entirely differently in the US than overseas.

Needless to say, most of this is held in the SIM card on GSM phones, and is programmed over the air, which means that there's no point in you screwing around with your phone (thank goodness) saving us poor bastards in tech support large amounts of time wondering what you've done to your phone this time.

The "short" programming code for Nokia CDMA and TDMA phones is *#6391#. This will bring up:

  • The MDN, or phone number,
  • (depending on how old the phone is) the MIN,
  • The SID
  • And the SOC.

Much of troubleshooting for TDMA or CDMA phones not functioning or picking up the network consists of doing a Dummy ESN Change and then doing the short programming to kick the phone through into the network, often with a Hard Power Cycle involved.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.