Unfortunately, Motorola makes truly despicable user interfaces for their products. I'm a sysadmin and it took me quite a while to figure out the startac cellphone interface. My pager (the big old clunky alphanumeric pager, not my shiny new alphanumeric pager or my sanyo cellphone) had icons that made no sense. Even my new pager from them isn't that great: the green button sometimes means yes and sometimes no; the red button sometimes means yes and sometimes means no. It's not consistent enough to be simple, and it's not powerful enough to justify any sort of complexity.

This company create(s/d) processors for almost any type of computer. The MC68000 is one of the best know one's as being used in the Amiga, Atari, Apple, X68000, Sega consoles, NeoGeo, arcade machines and several other computers.

Originally the 68k processor was created for the use of household appliances. The 680x0 series included types like the 68010, 68008, 68020, 68030, 68040 and the 68060. Some were also produced as embedded controller or included an FPU. Several companion chips were available, like the 68230 Parallel/Timer and the 68681 Dual UART. But besides their one chips, they could also use the 680x peripheral chips (at 1mhz). The 68k cores are now used in Motorola's Dragonball and ColdFire processors.

Motorola is also known for its microprocessors like the 680x. Some ex-employees of Motorola created a firm called MOS. They created the well known microprocessor used in the C64, the 6502. The 6502 which is almost identical to Motorola's design of the 6800. The other most well-known 680x microprocessor is the 6809. Microware created a unix-like operating system for it, called OS-9.

Together with IBM and Apple (AIM) they created the PowerPC line of processors. The PowerPC is based on the I/O architecture of Motorola's MC88000 RISC processor and IBM's POWER. The complexity of this chip is also it's strength. This processor is produced by both IBM and Motorola and is used in the current line of Apple computers. The embedded line of Motorola included the PowerQUICC, which is a QUICC-like processor with a PPC-core.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.