In Western Civilization, at least following the introduction of the automobile and the traffic light, the color green means yes or go, presumably by analogy with green traffic lights. Its opposite in this context is red. To green light a project is to give it the go-ahead.

Green can also mean inexperienced or untrained. This probably comes from green wood, which is flexible and doesn't burn very well because it is young and not yet dried out. Greenhorn is a variation on this, which generally refers to an immigrant, and is generally considered insulting.

A color charge carried by some quarks and some gluons.
It's antithesis is anti-green. Meaning that:

green + anti-green = white (or color neutral)

see Quantum Chromodynamics

Illinois prison slang for a low level guard. So called because of their green shirts, any guard below the rank of Lieutenant is a green. Anyone with the rank of Lieutenant or above is a white.

The Green is yet another drug slang term for marijuana, at least in the Upper Midwest. I heard it for the first time the other day from a buddy of mine. Green also is the color of the live marijuana plant, and used as a symbol of the herb. For example, on April 20, one might wear a green shirt to school as a covert act of rebellion.

Back to Marijuana Metanode, Pot Jargon Metanode, or Drug Slang Metanode.

In the Sci-Fi movie The Fifth Element, green meant cool, kewl, great, excellent, etc. Spouted often and quickly by Ruby Rhod, as played by an over-the-top Chris Tucker. The scene where he asks his groupies/yes men "What kind of green?" is particularly funny, as they fall over each other trying to come up with types and shades of green to show Ruby just how great his show was.

An independent film written, directed, starring, and with music composed by Karl T. Hirsch available on video but never shown in theatres due to Hirsch's extremely low budget for the film. The film follows the experiences of four 20somethings in Phoenix, Arizona while they trip on one hallucinogen or another. Their trips consist primarily of them looking back on their own lives and figuring out what went wrong. Eventually, each one comes to a realisation about him- or herself. The film is 88 minutes long. It was in production for quite a few years (again, because of the low budget) and IMDb says it was released in 2000.

Personally, I really don't like this flick. It's not that there isn't meaning behind it or that anything crucial really suffered all that much from the low budget but I thought the conclusions the characters come to about themselves were pretty predictable. I'm surprised it would take them until their mid-20s to realise the things I did a few minutes into each one's trip/flashback sequence. The movie seemed a lot longer than 88 minutes for me.

the actors:
Matt Gallagher as Ralph Huges
Karl T. Hirsch as David Stone
Dana Millican as Joanna Miller
Hyrum Patterson as Eric

Green(golf term)

A patch of tightly mown grass on which the "hole" resides for any particular golf hole. Often undulating, sometimes huge, sometimes tiny, usually surrounded by sand traps (bunkers).

Green - Midori - Verde - Grün - Vert

Thanks to the ever loveable Kermit The Frog we all know that 'it's not easy being green'. However I plan to delve into the positive aspects of being green. Lets see how many I can come up with ;)

  1. Camouflage:
    Being green makes guerilla warfare all the more effective. So once you've been painted green, hide in the bushes, and lie in wait for your friends. They're bound to be happy to see you when you ambush them as they come home late at night. Stick a realistic looking water pistol in their faces for added effect.

Ok.... So camouflage is the only good thing about being green I can think of right now. But I'll be sure to add to this node, when I become aware of more positive aspects of being green. But in reality.... It's not easy being green. I never really did like green.

When used as a noun, often capitalized, an environmental activist of one flavor or another. Usually used derogatorily by Big Oil or some other business interest-oriented group or another.

Green: R.E.M.
Warner Bros. Records, 1988 (released November 1, 1988)
Producers: Scott Litt, R.E.M.
Engineers: Scott Litt, Jay Healy
Recording: Ardent Studios (Memphis, TN, US)
Additional musicians: Bucky Baxter (steel guitar), Jane Scarpantoni (cello), Keith LeBlanc (percussion)

TRACK LISTING:

  1. Pop Song '89
  2. Get Up
  3. You Are The Everything
  4. Stand
  5. World Leader Pretend
  6. The Wrong Child
  7. Orange Crush
  8. Turn You Inside-Out
  9. Hairshirt
  10. I Remember California
  11. 11 (UNTITLED)

R.E.M.'s major label debut, it follows the overtly political nature of their previous album Document with an equally political album, released on election day in the United States.1 However, it is not just a political album, but focuses on themes of love (!) and disillusionment. One gets the sense of a band trying to move beyond what was their accepted sound, and move into more complex music, while trying not to reject what made them popular in the first place--lyrical imagism and jangly guitars.

Green goes beyond the anger of Document into a sadder world--"World Leader Pretend" is a quieter meditation than, say, "Disturbance at the Heron House" or "Welcome to the Occupation." The only truely "hard" songs are "Orange Crush" (about Agent Orange, used in Vietnam, in which Michael Stipe's father fought), "Turn You Inside-Out" (about a cult of personality mindset), and "I Remember California" (a bitter commentary of hippie nostalgia in the 1980s greed culture).

Meanwhile, there are unexpected songs of tenderness, such as "You Are the Everything" and the untitled final song2, which repeats the often-used themes of loneliness and travel, common to R.E.M.'s songs since 1984's Reckoning. And then there's the poignant song "The Wrong Child" about a child who is an outcast (perhaps retarded or autistic) and can only make friends in his imagination.

But it is also one of R.E.M's most upbeat records, with songs like "Get Up" and "Stand"--fun pop songs with dubious meanings, and the surrealist lyrics and folk melody of "Hairshirt"--the band wouldnt' sound this upbeat again until... um...

Finally, while the album is called Green, the cover is orange. What's up with that? you say? Well, it simple/complex. The color orange echoes the title of "Orange Crush"--and thus refers to that wonderful chemical intended to deforest Vietnam and thus give the guerrillas no place to hide. A certain irony, of course. Frankly, the orange color also looks like a smog-filled sky, particularly in Los Angeles, which echoes "I Remember California." It also emphasizes the enviornmentalist cause of the band.


1. This fact is alluded to on the song "Pop Song '89."

2. The drum beat is actually played by guitarist Peter Buck. It was so simple, but so un-drummerlike, according to drummer Bill Berry, that when it was played live, Buck would sometimes have to take over the drums, and switch the guitar to another member of the band.

Green (?), a. [Compar. Greener (); superl. Greenest.] [OE. grene, AS. gr?ne; akin to D. groen, OS. gr?ni, OHG. gruoni, G. gr?n, Dan. & Sw. gr?n, Icel. gr?nn; fr. the root of E. grow. See Grow.]

1.

Having the color of grass when fresh and growing; resembling that color of the solar spectrum which is between the yellow and the blue; verdant; emerald.

2.

Having a sickly color; wan.

To look so green and pale. Shak.

3.

Full of life aud vigor; fresh and vigorous; new; recent; as, a green manhood; a green wound.

As valid against such an old and beneficent government as against . . . the greenest usurpation. Burke.

4.

Not ripe; immature; not fully grown or ripened; as, green fruit, corn, vegetables, etc.

5.

Not roasted; half raw.

[R.]

We say the meat is green when half roasted. L. Watts.

6.

Immature in age or experience; young; raw; not trained; awkward; as, green in years or judgment.

I might be angry with the officious zeal which supposes that its green conceptions can instruct my gray hairs. Sir W. Scott.

7.

Not seasoned; not dry; containing its natural juices; as, green wood, timber, etc.

Shak.

Green brier Bot., a thorny climbing shrub (Emilaz rotundifolia) having a yellowish green stem and thick leaves, with small clusters of flowers, common in the United States; -- called also cat brier. -- Green con Zool., the pollock. -- Green crab Zool., an edible, shore crab (Carcinus menas) of Europe and America; -- in New England locally named joe-rocker. -- Green crop, a crop used for food while in a growing or unripe state, as distingushed from a grain crop, root crop, etc. -- Green diallage. Min. (a) Diallage, a variety of pyroxene. (b) Smaragdite. -- Green dragon Bot., a North American herbaceous plant (Arisaema Dracontium), resembling the Indian turnip; -- called also dragon root. -- Green earth Min., a variety of glauconite, found in cavities in amygdaloid and other eruptive rock, and used as a pigment by artists; -- called also mountain green. -- Green ebony. (a) A south American tree (Jacaranda ovalifolia), having a greenish wood, used for rulers, turned and inlaid work, and in dyeing. (b) The West Indian green ebony. See Ebony. -- Green fire (Pyrotech.), a composition which burns with a green flame. It consists of sulphur and potassium chlorate, with some salt of barium (usually the nitrate), to which the color of the flame is due. -- Green fly Zool., any green species of plant lice or aphids, esp. those that infest greenhouse plants. -- Green gage, Bot. See Greengage, in the Vocabulary. -- Green gland Zool., one of a pair of large green glands in Crustacea, supposed to serve as kidneys. They have their outlets at the bases of the larger antennae. -- Green hand, a novice. [Colloq.] -- Green heart Bot., the wood of a lauraceous tree found in the West Indies and in South America, used for shipbuilding or turnery. The green heart of Jamaica and Guiana is the Nectandra Rodiei, that of Martinique is the Colubrina ferruginosa. -- Green iron ore (Min.) dufrenite. -- Green laver Bot., an edible seaweed (Ulva latissima); -- called also green sloke. -- Green lead ore (Min.), pyromorphite. -- Green linnet Zool., the greenfinch. -- Green looper Zool., the cankerworm. -- Green marble (Min.), serpentine. -- Green mineral, a carbonate of copper, used as a pigment. See Greengill. -- Green monkey Zool. a West African long-tailed monkey (Cercopithecus callitrichus), very commonly tamed, and trained to perform tricks. It was introduced into the West Indies early in the last century, and has become very abundant there. -- Green salt of Magnus (Old Chem.), a dark green crystalline salt, consisting of ammonia united with certain chlorides of platinum. -- Green sand (Founding) molding sand used for a mold while slightly damp, and not dried before the cast is made. -- Green sea (Naut.), a wave that breaks in a solid mass on a vessel's deck. -- Green sickness Med., chlorosis. -- Green snake Zool., one of two harmless American snakes (Cyclophis vernalis, and C. aestivus). They are bright green in color. -- Green turtle Zool., an edible marine turtle. See Turtle. -- Green vitriol. (a) Chem. Sulphate of iron; a light green crystalline substance, very extensively used in the preparation of inks, dyes, mordants, etc. (b) (Min.) Same as copperas, melanterite and sulphate of iron. -- Green ware, articles of pottery molded and shaped, but not yet baked. -- Green woodpecker Zool., a common European woodpecker (Picus viridis); -- called also yaffle.

 

© Webster 1913.


Green (gren), n.

1.

The color of growing plants; the color of the solar spectrum intermediate between the yellow and the blue.

2.

A grassy plain or plat; a piece of ground covered with verdant herbage; as, the village green.

O'er the smooth enameled green. Milton.

3.

Fresh leaves or branches of trees or other plants; wreaths; -- usually in the plural.

In that soft season when descending showers Call forth the greens, and wake the rising flowers. Pope.

4.

pl. Leaves and stems of young plants, as spinach, beets, etc., which in their green state are boiled for food.

5.

Any substance or pigment of a green color.

Alkali green Chem., an alkali salt of a sulphonic acid derivative of a complex aniline dye, resembling emerald green; -- called also Helvetia green.-- Berlin green. Chem. See under Berlin. -- Brilliant green Chem., a complex aniline dye, resembling emerald green in composition. -- Brunswick green an oxychloride of copper. -- Chrome green. See under Chrome. -- Emerald green. Chem. (a) A complex basic derivative of aniline produced as a metallic, green crystalline substance, and used for dyeing silk, wool, and mordanted vegetable fiber a brilliant green; -- called also aldehyde green, acid green, malachite green, Victoria green, solid green, etc. It is usually found as a double chloride, with zinc chloride, or as an oxalate. (b) See Paris green (below). -- Gaignet's green Chem. a green pigment employed by the French artist, Adrian Gusgnet, and consisting essentially of a basic hydrate of chromium. -- Methyl green Chem., an artificial rosaniline dyestuff, obtained as a green substance having a brilliant yellow luster; -- called also light-green. -- Mineral green. See under Mineral. -- Mountain green. See Green earth, under Green, a. -- Paris green Chem., a poisonous green powder, consisting of a mixture of several double salts of the acetate and arsenite of copper. It has found very extensive use as a pigment for wall paper, artificial flowers, etc., but particularly as an exterminator of insects, as the potato bug; -- called also Schweinfurth green, imperial green, Vienna green, emerald qreen, and mitis green. -- Scheele's green (Chem.), a green pigment, consisting essentially of a hydrous arsenite of copper; -- called also Swedish green. It may enter into various pigments called parrot green, pickel green, Brunswick green, nereid green, or emerald green.

 

© Webster 1913.


Green, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Greened (great): p. pr. & vb. n. Greening.]

To make green.

Great spring before Greened all the year. Thomson.

<-- THe Greening of America [Reich] -->

 

© Webster 1913.


Green, v. i.

To become or grow green.

Tennyson.

By greening slope and singing flood. Whittier.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.