1. To glare at. 2. To die by electrocution. 3. To burglarize safes and vaults with an oxy-acetylene torch. 4. To cheat accomplices by withholding a portion of loot. "That louse burned his partners for their end (share) of the touch (loot) and lammed (fled)."

- american underworld dictionary - 1950
"Burn" is a slang term used when one copies a CD. Origin is probably from the laser "burn" marks on where the cd has been written on.
"Creg burned me a copy of Diablo 2."
"I was just burning some CD's"
"James recently purchased a CD burner ."
While printing in a darkroom...

To burn is to add light to one portion of a print in order to increase the exposure to that part of the image. This is usually done to bring down highlights (bright spots) or to make annoying features of an image disappear fade into black.

Goes hand in hand with dodging as one of the two main printing techniques one needs to master.


The question has been raised about the veracity of the above statements concerning light in relation to exposure in prints. When you're working with a camera and a negative, the more light that is exposed onto the film creates a denser negative: this translates into a negative that prints "lighter" or "whiter".

The reverse is true while working with a negative and paper. The more light you add to a print, the further the image travels from its original state (stark white).

Thus, burning a print (adding light) makes the burned area darker, "blacker", or more dull.

Modern graffiti slang: a piece that burns has vibrant and eye-dazzling colors, so that the wall or train almost appears to be "on fire". The word can also signify superiority of one writer or piece over another: "That toy got burned the other day." Finally, a location that has been rocked hard (been boldly enhanced with high-quality graffiti) is considered to have been "burned", as in "Man, he really burned that old shed on Highway 99."

A piece which burns is known as a "burner".

Rumored CIA slang for the sacrifice of an agent or other disposable resource in order to protect a secret or other, more valuable tool.

  alleviate the burn in my paper heart
with the various blue scraps of your eyes--
          Cold. Sharp. Taken.
      Hurt me. Fuck me. And now
  the clippings of your child conceived
 will forever litter the halls of my soul
like caked ashes, dying mothers, and bloody sheets


Done for a poetry workshop; had to contain the words paper, burn, cake, conceive, clippings, blue, alleviate, various, scrap, and taken.

BURNS


Treatments

Thermal- Cool off the burn with water using one of these methods. Make a bath using warm water and then add ice, cooling it off to just below room temperature. This makes the water cool but not to the point it's near freezing. This is to keep the burn victim from catching a chill and it still removes the heat. Never use anything frozen, left on for to long it kills the alive tissues. If submerging the entire sight is implausible, irrogate with copious amounts of water. This next method works for burns on or near the face. Soak a clean cloth and place it on the burn and keep it cool by re-soaking it continuously. Use ointments to help healing and prevent blisters. Do not pop any blisters, blisters are natures perfect bandage.

Chemical- Wipe off the chemical with another object to avoid further burns. Flush the area immediately with running water. Remove all clothing that the chemical has come in contact with, this is to prevent spreading. Contact the proper emergency service immediately. Follow the instructions they will prompt you with.

Electrical- Make sure the power source is off before approaching the victim. There will be two burn spots an entrance and an exit. Treat both with a dry, sterile dressing. They may be deep. Do not cool the burn. The burn is not serious problem itself. Do not move the victim, in case of a spinal injury, this prevents further damage. Again, call the proper emergency service immediately.


Types

The system for labeling burns is still the same three-degree system. They adopted this labeling system because every skin\flesh injury follows this system. Consistency is good. The only question left is, why didn't they do this earlier?

Superficial- Only the top layer of skin called the epidermis is burned. Most sun burns are a great example, they turn red and are painful. Feels cool to the touch with no blisters. Takes about a week to heal.

Partial thickness- Any burn that involves the epidermis and some portion of the dermis. The subcutaneous tissue is not damaged. They're painful, most can blister and the appearance is moist and molted. The color might be red or white. Heals in a couple weeks to a month.

Full thickness- Damage of all three layers. Involves muscles, bones and internal organs. Blood vessels and subcutaneous tissue maybe visible. May feel hard to the touch and look leathery and dry. Can be white, brown or black. Can be extremely painful but damaging the nerves will result in no pain. Repair comes from skin grafts of healthy tissue in the place of the dead stuff.


Burn classifications as it pertains to the Total Body Surface Area(TBSA).

Estimating size- There's a couple methods on gauging the amount that's burned. One of the older ways is the Rule of Nines. Where each body part receives a percent of X. The head and each arm receive nine percent each. While both legs, the back, and front of the torso receive 18% each. The exception being the neck receiving the remaining one percent. Also, one percent of the a person's TBSA is roughly the size of their palm, or the rule of palm.

Minor- Is a superficial burn less than 50% TBSA or, any partial thickness less than 15% TBSA, or full thickness and less than 2% TBSA.

Moderate- Is more than 50% TBSA is burned superficial or, any partial thickness burn that covers 15 to 30% TBSA, or a full thickness that covers 2% to 10% TBSA.

Critical- Partial thickness burn covering more than 30% or, any full thickness covering more than 10%. Also, any burns that includes the following: face, hands, feet, genitals, or any circumferential burn (Burns that wrap around the limb entirely). Burns to the elderly older then 55 years of age and children younger then 5, are always considered critical because their bodies contain less muscle mass compared to surface area.




Sources:
American Academy of orthopaedic surgeons.Emergency care and transportation of the sick and injured. Sudbury, mass.:Jones and Bartlett publishers, 2005.
http://library.thinkquest.org/10624/burns.html
http://www.burn-recovery.org/injuries.htm
In the culture of the Twenty-First Century United States of America, a "burn" is an especially biting an effective insult. The dispensation of such a crack is traditionally followed by an associate of the deliverer declaring, "ooooh, burn!!" Alternately, such associate may disingenuously offer the recipient of the burn some form of salve or oinment or ice "for that burn."

The recipient of the burn may respond in any of a number of ways. One is to brush it off like a minor annoyance, a mosquito to be swatted away and forgotten. Or, one may politely acknowledge the receipt of the burn by nodding slightly, grimacing, and muttering, "yeah, you got me there." But if in the company of good friends (including within that circle the burner and his associate), it is best to go along full-heartedly, replying, "Ho-HO, solid, bro, I am feelin' the burn!! Is it hot in here or did I just get burned? Yep, I think I got burned. Good burn, bro. Gooood buuuurn."

You need a signed permission by an owner, a small yellow form, to get on the island.

We are in line. The ferry is small. It's my first time. A private island, how quaint. And a little disturbing too, to my populist self.

He is the son of an owner. The ferry personnel comes to the car window, tablet in hand. The FP examines our signed yellow form. "What is your member number?"

Ownerson grimaces. He calls his parents. His father answers and looks up the number. The FP checks his tablet and nods, stiffly.

We drive onto the small ferry. It will hold twelve cars at most. We are packed like sardines. It is open, not like the big ferries. Only a small raised cab for the driver.

Ownerson: "That is the first time they've asked for the number. Security is tightening. It used to be very casual. The same group drove the ferry for years. The engineer would let us up in the cab when we were kids and we would drive it for a bit."

We unload onto the island. It is Friday evening and I worked. I'm tired. The light is falling. The car winds through small roads, houses everywhere. Some are old vacation homes. Some are newer and very fancy.

"More people live on the island. It is getting more and more expensive. The ferry is part of the Washington State Ferry Union now. We all have to help pay for services."

He knows the roads well. He lets the car zip down a steep dirt section and up. I squeak. I am tired and it's one lane and two way and getting dark.

I hope we will be at the house soon.

Burn (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Burned () or Burnt (); p. pr. & vb. n. Burning.] [OE. bernen, brennen, v.t., early confused with beornen, birnen, v.i., AS. baernan, bernan, v.t., birnan, v.i.; akin to OS. brinnan, OFries. barna, berna, OHG. brinnan, brennan, G. brennen, OD. bernen, D. branden, Dan. braende, Sw. branna, brinna, Icel. brenna, Goth. brinnan, brannjan (in comp.), and possibly to E. fervent.]

1.

To consume with fire; to reduce to ashes by the action of heat or fire; -- frequently intensified by up: as, to burn up wood.

"We'll burn his body in the holy place."

Shak.

2.

To injure by fire or heat; to change destructively some property or properties of, by undue exposure to fire or heat; to scorch; to scald; to blister; to singe; to char; to sear; as, to burn steel in forging; to burn one's face in the sun; the sun burns the grass.

3.

To perfect or improve by fire or heat; to submit to the action of fire or heat for some economic purpose; to destroy or change some property or properties of, by exposure to fire or heat in due degree for obtaining a desired residuum, product, or effect; to bake; as, to burn clay in making bricks or pottery; to burn wood so as to produce charcoal; to burn limestone for the lime.

4.

To make or produce, as an effect or result, by the application of fire or heat; as, to burn a hole; to burn charcoal; to burn letters into a block.

5.

To consume, injure, or change the condition of, as if by action of fire or heat; to affect as fire or heat does; as, to burn the mouth with pepper.

This tyrant fever burns me up.
Shak.

This dry sorrow burns up all my tears.
Dryden.

When the cold north wind bloweth, . . . it devoureth the mountains, and burneth the wilderness, and consumeth the ass as fire. Ecclus. xliii. 20, 21.

6. Surg.

To apply a cautery to; to cauterize.

7. Chem.

To cause to combine with oxygen or other active agent, with evolution of heat; to consume; to oxidize; as, a man burns a certain amount of carbon at each respiration; to burn iron in oxygen.

To burn, To burn together, as two surfaces of metal Engin., to fuse and unite them by pouring over them a quantity of the same metal in a liquid state. -- To burn a bowl (Game of Bowls), to displace it accidentally, the bowl so displaced being said to be burned. -- To burn daylight, to light candles before it is dark; to waste time; to perform superfluous actions. Shak. -- To burn one's fingers, to get one's self into unexpected trouble, as by interfering the concerns of others, speculation, etc. -- To burn out, to destroy or obliterate by burning. "Must you with hot irons burn out mine eyes?" Shak. -- To be burned out, to suffer loss by fire, as the burning of one's house, store, or shop, with the contents. -- To burn up, To burn down, to burn entirely.

 

© Webster 1913.


Burn, v. i.

1.

To be of fire; to flame.

"The mount burned with fire."

Deut. ix. 15.

2.

To suffer from, or be scorched by, an excess of heat.

Your meat doth burn, quoth I.
Shak.

3.

To have a condition, quality, appearance, sensation, or emotion, as if on fire or excessively heated; to act or rage with destructive violence; to be in a state of lively emotion or strong desire; as, the face burns; to burn with fever.

Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way?
Luke xxiv. 32.

The barge she sat in, like a burnished throne,
Burned on the water.
Shak.

Burning with high hope.
Byron.

The groan still deepens, and the combat burns.
Pope.

The parching air
Burns frore, and cold performs the effect of fire.
Milton.

4. Chem.

To combine energetically, with evolution of heat; as, copper burns in chlorine.

5.

In certain games, to approach near to a concealed object which is sought.

[Colloq.]

To burn out, to burn till the fuel is exhausted. -- To burn up, To burn down, to be entirely consumed.

 

© Webster 1913.


Burn, n.

1.

A hurt, injury, or effect caused by fire or excessive or intense heat.

2.

The operation or result of burning or baking, as in brickmaking; as, they have a good burn.

3.

A disease in vegetables. See Brand, n., 6.

 

© Webster 1913.


Burn, n. [See 1st Bourn.]

A small stream.

[Scot.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.