n. The tunes in which Jewish prayers are sung.

Tunes differentiate by

  1. holiday (some tunes sung on Rosh HaShana are different from tunes sung on the Sabbath)
  2. geographical identity of the congregation (i.e Ashkenazi, Sephardi, Persia, etc.)
  3. the rabbi whose tunes the cangregation uses. Many tunes are generalized and are attributed to no specific rabbi, but some groups, like my Chabad, use the nusach of HaAri Z'al, a medieval rabbi.
  4. time of the day. Some tunes sung in the morning prayers are different from those sung (for the same prayer) in the afternoon and evening prayers.

Some tunes even spring from Jewish day camps, or so it seems. I have never heard the tunes I learned at Camp Ramah for the blessing after the meal sung anywhere else besides in the homes of other people who had attended Camp Ramah as well. Nusachim (plural of nusach) can change by volume or octave, depending on the ability of the leader. Ease of learning a nusach depends on your singing abilities, your knowledge of Hebrew, Aramaic, etc., the number of times the particular nusach is used during the year (you would probably have to polish up your Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur nusachim every year), and how comfortable you are leading a congregation.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.