An outrider is a person with an almost fanatical devotion to Games Workshop. They travel all about to various GW stores, and independent stockists trying to hook young children on tabletop gaming. I know several people who are in danger of becoming outriders if they aren't careful.

An outrider can be recognised by the tools of his trade. As sure as a Jedi carries a light sabre, an outrider will be carrying several bags of dice, blast templates, and those thin red plastic measuring devices that are only really useful for poking or whipping people who irritate you. A true outrider has no need of rulebooks, he has an encyclopaedic knowledge of every minor law, much like a twink. They will often wear a black shirt with a two headed eagle emblazoned upon it.

The outriders appear to be loosely organised, and claim to have a website, gwoutriders.com, which is actually a roundabout way of getting to the Games Workshop main site. Often, if a group of outriders meet in one place they will spontaneously hold a convention. Descending upon some small town like a motorcycle gang.

It has been rumoured that "If you hit an outrider hard enough candy comes out." Even so, I would not recommend beating them to death with their own plastic whippy things, or yelling "Give up the chocolate, Dice-boy!" across the street, as this may incur the wrath of the outrider community. Do you really want a Games Workshop convention on your doorstep?

Thankfully, most people grow out of devoting all their life to Games Workshop before they become outriders.


Roninspoon says: It may be worth your effort to mention that this is an official organization, endorsed by Game Workshop, and not just a bunch of rovinglunatics with a common goal.

- Point taken. They are in fact a part of Games Workshop, but this still does nothing to alleviate their lunacy, or the fact that they annoy the balls off me.

Out"rid`er (?), n.

1.

A summoner whose office is to cite men before the sheriff.

[Obs.]

2.

One who rides out on horseback.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

3.

A servant on horseback attending a carriage.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.