The command you would type in at the BASIC prompt (]) to get the attention of the printer hooked up to your Apple ][ series computer.

This command was usually followed by the activity of a nearby printer that possessed both the size and annoying volume of an accordian.

The "PR#n" command in Applesoft and Integer Basic redirects output to slot n. The result of typing the command depends entirely on what card, if any, you have installed in that slot.

The general convention with Apple II slots was:

  • Slot 0: 16K RAM upgrade for Apple II/II+. PR#0 and IN#0 generally negated the effects of PR#n and IN#n.
  • Slot 1: Printer interface
  • Slot 2: Modem or serial interface connected to external modem
  • Slot 3: 80 column card. Yes, 80 columns was an option on the Apple II series.
  • Slot 4: Usually a mouse interface
  • Slot 5: 3.5" Disk controller, for 800K 3.5" floppies.
  • Slot 6: 5.25" Disk controller, for 140K 5.25" floppies
  • Slot 7: AppleTalk interface. This was rare, but was present on some Apple II's hooked up to Macintosh networks.
There is also a sister command, "IN#n", which redirects input to the specified slot. For instance, if someone was dialed up to you with a modem, and your modem is in slot 2, typing the following at the BASIC prompt:
PR#2
IN#2
would allow the remote person to "use" your computer. Neat, huh?

Strange things would happen (unpredictable results, the manuals always said) if you tried to PR#n or IN#n a slot with nothing in it. Sometimes this would cause the machine to get hosed in a fun and humorous way. This is because if there is no card installed the peripheral card ROM space for that slot was unpredictable. You could be executing random code. Best to remove any disks from your drives before doing this.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.