display | more...
Peter Stuyvesant came to Manhattan Island in New York City in 1647, and ruled a large plot of land in the areas now known as the East Village and the Bowery.

A former commander of the Dutch West India colony in Curacao, he lost his leg in a battle at St. Martin's. A European hospital replaced his lost limb with a wooden leg which Stuyvesant later wrapped with gaudy silver studs - from which he received the nicknames Peg-Leg Peter and Old Silver Nails.

He owned a large mansion that stood amongst a huge, sprawling farm and he owned his Bouwerie chapel stood in the current location of the St. Mark's Church-in-the-Bowery - a site reputedly haunted by his ghost to this day.

The first Governor of New Amsterdam and New York was known for his strong will and harsh character - as evident by his refusal to depart the lands he once roamed.

When Stuyvesant's leg was amputated as a result of his wounds, his leg was accorded a Christian burial with full military honors. It was his right leg that Stuyvesant lost, a detail that was forgotten after he died since many paintings depict him with a wooden left leg. The matter was settled in the early years of the 20th century when his body was exhumed and the dispute resolved.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.