display | more...
A gate of Rome, on the Aurelian wall, through which passed the road via Salaria, leading north to Italy’s Sabina region. It had several other names, including Salara, Porta Sancti Silvestri and the "Gate of Salt". The latter name referring to the carts of salt that ancient traders brought through the gate.

In the summer of 410 A.D., Alaric king of the Visigoths laid siege to Rome. Allies within the capital opened the gate at Porta Salaria for him on the night of August 24, and for three days his troops sacked the city, which had been untouched by a foreign enemy for nearly 800 years.

Two semi-circular towers of brickwork, perhaps the original work of Aurelian, flanked the the Porta Salaria. The gate stood until 1870, when it was seriously damaged by Giuseppe Garibaldi’s troops during their capture of Rome. The removal of rubble the following year led to the discovery of two marble tombs below the towers. Found under the eastern tower was the tomb of the young poet Q. Sulpicius Maximus. Under the western tower was the Sepulcrum Corneliae, which housed the remains of Cornelia L. Scipionis.

The latest version of the Porta Salaria, built in 1873, was removed in 1921 due to high traffic volume. A plaque in the road’s pavement commemorates the gate.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.