British professional wrestling magazine.

Power Slam arose out of the ashes of the late, sometimes great Superstars Of Wrestling magazine. Started in 1992, SOW was initially a poster magazine for the millions (and MILLIONS) of pre-pubescent marks who had been captivated by WWF programming on Rupert Murdoch's SKY satellite TV stations.

As the magazine grew, so did its scope. Editor Fin Martin and chief writer Rob Butcher discovered the delights of tape-trading and the dirtsheets, and soon SOW had editorial about Japanese wrestling, independent feds in the US and behind-the-scenes stuff from the WWF and WCW. The articles got larger, and the posters got fewer, until in July 1994 SOW morphed into Power Slam, and openly attempted to distance itself from its former life as a glorified comic.

PS went from strength to strength in the quality of its content, even in the face of the massive decline in wrestling's popularity in the mid-Nineties. Although suffering from Fin and Rob's insistance on 'educating' their readership about the superiority of whichever promotion had them collectively orgasming that month (in particular Smoky Mountain Wrestling and ECW) over the WWF, the magazine remained informative and generally accurate, especially for a dirtsheet-starved country in pre-internet days.

Once the Net began to take hold in the UK, the PS team weren't far behind - in fact, most of the time their news items came entirely from the bowels of RSPW - but nobody can deny PS's role in the smark-isation of many 'mainstream' UK wrestling fans. As the Internet and the language of the smart mark became more commonplace, so did the tone of PS. Nowadays it is entirely a 'shoot' magazine, catering almost completely to the discerning smart fan on this side of the Pond.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.