Practical C++ is a starter-level book for learning the C++ programming language for a total newbie. No previous programming experience is required, and this book does a very good job of taking you through the most basic concepts needed to program, as well as the C knowledge that is useful as a grounding to C++.

The book is split into four parts. The first, "C++ Basics", takes you through the most fundamental of things - some basic computer science and an examination of the most basic concepts in C++, such as variables, data types, functions, constants and arrays.

The second, "Beyond the basics", goes a little deeper under the hood of C++. You'll find yourself tinkering with function overloading, structures, pointers, references, memory allocation, operator overloading and much more. There's even a chapter on hex, octal and binary conversions and use.

The third section introduces Object-Orientated programming. Starting with OOP theory and moving onto the practicalities of it in C++, you'll soon find yourself able to understand topics such as polymorphism and templates, as well as RTTI.

The final section explores the STL, with chapters on each of: Iterators and Containers, Strings, Numerics, Files and Streams and Algorithms.

The whole book acts as an excellent reference manual as well as an explanatory text, and I find myself going back to it again and again to look things up. Some people might say having an excellent textbook on your desk is a sign of weakness, but it helps me write accurate code quicker. It can help you to.

The book is published by Que, and was written by Rob McGregor.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.