Pyrohy is the original Ukrainian/Russian/Polish name for the Americanized name of "Perogies". They are pronounced, in the Ukrainian language, as "Peta-heh". You can make them with 4 cups of flour, 1 egg, 1 3/4 cups warm water and 1/2 teaspoon salt.

The filling is made with 2 cups mashed potatoes, 2 tablespoons cooking oil, 1/2 t spoons minced onions, 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese and salt/pepper.

You should combine the water, egg and salt and add 3 cups of flour. Mix it all well into a paste and add/knead in the fourth cup until smooth. Brush it with oil and set it aside for 15 minutes.

Roll dough out as for pie crust cut out with a round cookie cutter. Place round on the palm of your hand and place a spoonful of filling on it. Fold over to make a half-circle. Next, Press the edges together with your fingers and make sure the edges are free from filling.

Make the edges sealed well. Place the PYROHY on a towel side by side without touching one another and cover with another tea towel to prevent them from drying out. Drop them into boiling water and stir with a spoon to prevent them from sticking to the bottom. Boil them for an additional 4 to 5 minutes and drain. You can add a sprinkle of oil or melted butter on them or toast them light brown until a fine shell is formed. I love this method and adding cream cheese is a delicious way to enjoy this traditional Ukrainian food. You can also try frying up some bacon bits in a pan with some olive oil and using that as a sauce for them. Simply delicious.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.