In mathematics, usually denotes that an object is differentiable infinitely many times, although depending on context it may say that a fixed finite number of derivatives exist.

Smooth (?), a. [Compar. Smoother (?); superl. Smoothest.] [OE. smothe, smethe, AS. smedhe, smoedte, where e, oe, come from an older o; cf. LG. smode, smoe, smodig; of uncertain origin.]

1.

Having an even surface, or a surface so even that no roughness or points can be perceived by the touch; not rough; as, smooth glass; smooth porcelain.

Chaucer.

The outlines must be smooth, imperceptible to the touch, and even, without eminence or cavities. Dryden.

2.

Evenly spread or arranged; sleek; as, smooth hair.

3.

Gently flowing; moving equably; not ruffled or obstructed; as, a smooth stream.

4.

Flowing or uttered without check, obstruction, or hesitation; not harsh; voluble; even; fluent.

The only smooth poet of those times. Milton.

Waller was smooth; but Dryden taught to join The varying verse, the full-resounding line. Pope.

When sage Minerva rose, From her sweet lips smooth elocution flows. Gay.

5.

Bland; mild; smoothing; fattering.

This smooth discourse and mild behavior oft Conceal a traitor. Addison.

6. Mech. & Physics

Causing no resistance to a body sliding along its surface; frictionless.

Smooth is often used in the formation of selfexplaining compounds; as, smooth-bodied, smooth-browed, smooth-combed, smooth-faced, smooth-finished, smooth-gliding, smooth-grained, smooth-leaved, smooth-sliding, smooth-speaking, smooth-woven, and the like.

Syn. -- Even; plain; level; flat; polished; glossy; sleek; soft; bland; mild; soothing; voluble; flattering; adulatory; deceptive.

 

© Webster 1913.


Smooth, adv.

Smoothly.

Chaucer.

Smooth runs the water where the brook is deep. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Smooth, n.

1.

The act of making smooth; a stroke which smooths.

Thackeray.

2.

That which is smooth; the smooth part of anything.

"The smooth of his neck."

Gen. xxvii. 16.

 

© Webster 1913.


Smooth, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Smoothed (smoothd); p. pr. & vb. n. Smoothing.] [OE. smothen, smethen, AS. smedhian; cf. LG. smoden. See Smooth, a.]

To make smooth; to make even on the surface by any means; as, to smooth a board with a plane; to smooth cloth with an iron.

Specifically: --

(a)

To free from obstruction; to make easy

.

Thou, Abelard! the last sad office pay, And smooth my passage to the realms of day. Pope.

(b)

To free from harshness; to make flowing

.

In their motions harmony divine So smooths her charming tones that God's own ear Listens delighted. Milton.

(c)

To palliate; to gloze; as, to smooth over a fault

.

(d)

To give a smooth or calm appearance to

.

Each perturbation smoothed with outward calm. Milton.

(e)

To ease; to regulate

.

Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913.


Smooth, v. i.

To flatter; to use blandishment.

Because I can not flatter and speak fair, Smile in men's faces, smooth, deceive and cog. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.