Qumran is a ruined city located on the northwest shore of the Dead Sea. The Dead Sea Scrolls were found in caves nearby the city, therefore they are both believed to be connected. Archeologists had started excavating the site at about the same time the Dead Sea Scrolls were found, between 1946-1957. Qumran is believd to have been a commune of men, women and children that existed around 1 C.E. Recently many curious findings have been discovered that tell what the people of Qumran must have been like.

For one, dozens of pools were found in the city which are most likely baptismal pools. Through the supposed connection with the Dead Sea Scrolls, other writings and the pools, it is determined that the community of Qumran was very into purity. Everyone and everything in the community must be purified. If a pot or other vessel was found "unpure" it was broken and never used again. Rooms that are like those in monasteries were found, such as communal eating places and a place where they all met together.

Recently, in 2000-2001, there were a couple major discoveries. It had been known that just outside the city there was a huge cemetery filled with over 213 graves. Most of the graves were full of skeletons of people supposedly from Qumran. Some were put there many, many years later. One discovery was that the issue of purity shines through when you look at the teeth of the skeletons of the Qumranians. Apparently purity in food and the constant washing of their bodies gave less wear on their teeth. To the east of this cemetery is a hill. On the hill are graves of two women. It is still a mystery to this day who the women are and what they are doing there, but while digging the graves for more information, the archeologists found out the hill was actually a tomb. There was no coffin, just a body. It is believed that this person must have been very important, because he (yes, it's a he) was buried separate from all the others and in a tomb.

John the Baptist is believed to have a connection with the Qumran community, so the body could be his. Or it could be someone else who is very important. In the Damascus Document, which is believed to be attributed to the Qumranians tells about a "teacher of righteousness". So maybe it's him. Nobody really knows so the finds are inconclusive. Hopefully someday we will finally know who the mystery body is.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.