(For those days or weeks when the world is a bit overwhelming and the nights go below or close to freezing.)


I came up with this recipe after making our traditional Saint Patrick's Day corned beef, which is below:


5 lbs. lean beef brisket
8 red potatoes, cut into chunks
1 large sweet onion, slivered
garlic, to each according to their needs
1 large head of green cabbage, chopped
1 lb. baby carrots, cut in halves
4 stalks celery, chopped


Cook all of the above in a large pot with water and the contents of the little plastic packet of what look like mustard seeds. (I cooked it for 2 hours, then let it sit on my front porch overnight, cooked it another hour the next day before taking Mom for surgery consult.) I think I served it with croissants because I had them, a spring greens salad mix, applesauce, and pickle relish. Instead of saying grace, my mother and I together said one of the Irish blessings, with me making a few mistakes. ("Sun shining on your fields and rain falling soft on your feet.") Every good grace should end in laughter, then enjoying the food, which is what happened. My three guys, my mother and I demolished the five lbs. of meat, leaving me with a lot of broth, cabbage, potatoes, etc., which I just stuck out on the front porch again, in a covered pot.


Next day, I added 6 baked boneless pork chops, (which had gotten dried out while I was making phone calls), 2 large skinned, baked yams, more onion and garlic, 2 sheets of Sushi Nori, crumbled, chopped fresh ginger and a liberal dash of soy sauce. Let the Resurrection Stew simmer until the pork falls apart. This can be aided by slicing the pork chops into strips prior to putting them into the stew, as well as using a wooden fork to break up the meat as it simmers. (Like many things, I learned this by doing it.)


I served this a third time, cooked down to almost no broth, over yellow rice. (Actually, still had some leftovers, so I put it in the freezer, labeled and dated.) Each time, the concoction tasted quite different and was satisfying, as only stew can be.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.