What do you get if you take the two beautifully animated Japanese arcade games Rockman: The Power Battle and Rockman 2: The Power Fighters, take out all the impressive graphics and replace them with their NES equivalents, remove most of the catchy music, and cram the whole package into a Neo Geo Pocket Color game? You get Capcom's 2000 game Rockman Battle and Fighters.

What we have here is a single game cartridge that contains ports of the two Japanese Mega Man arcade games. The game was only released in Japan, and after SNK pulled the plug on the Neo Geo Pocket Color, all unsold copies of the game were destroyed. Finding the actual cartridge is a rarity, but the ROM exists for play on emulators if you know where to find it.

There are no passwords or save game functions available, however the game will save your high scores.

Of course, being a game from Japan, all of the menus and story segments are in Japanese. Trial and error is needed to find out which menu options activate what features. The first menu option is for the games themselves. I am unsure what the other options activate. My guess, based on the screen layouts, would be some type of robot master database as seen in Rockman and Forte.

Surprisingly, all gameplay aspects of this game's big brothers survived intact. All of the robot master bosses are present, as are the playable characters: Mega Man, Proto Man, Bass, and Duo (only in Rockman 2 The Power Fighters mode). Typically arcade ports get cut down when turned into portable versions, but Mega Man survived the hacking process for the most part.


References:
Experiences come from actually playing the game. Other background info came from http://www.mmhp.net/GameHints/RMBnF.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.