user since
Mon Mar 3 2008 at 12:20:40 (16.1 years ago )
last seen
Wed Jan 31 2024 at 11:44:38 (2.6 months ago )
number of write-ups
49 - View Scaevola's writeups (feed)
level / experience
6 (Artificer) / 2556
C!s spent
10
specialties
Cooking, and considering my profession, lots of red wine
school/company
Various
motto
No matter how stupid the opposition: Never underestimate it.
most recent writeup
chai tiramisu
Send private message to Scaevola

Advocate in private practice in Cape Town. One time university teacher, but started life as a student of classical languages and English literature, generally a harmless drudge.  I speak English and Afrikaans fluently (Ph. D. level), read Latin, Attic Greek, German, French, Italian, Spanish and Dutch.  Generally capable of reading and understanding around 60% of other germanic and romance languages that share the Roman alphabet.

Member of e2law (now there's a surprise!).

Quintus Mucius Scaevola, pontifex maximus, was tribune in 647 AUC; curule aedile in 649 AUC; praetor in 632 AUC and consul in 623 AUC together with his colleague Licinius Crassus. He was the master of Marcus Tullius Cicero when Cicero was a law pupil. Scaevola was murdered for knowing too much about too many people, proving that it is not who you know, but what you know about who you know that can be extremely dangerous.

Sacevola so successully governed Asia province in 121 BCE, that the Asiatics there celebrated an annual festival in his honour, called the Mucia.

Scaevola means "the left handed one".  One of his forebears acquired the surname after thrusting his right hand into fire when caught in the camp of Lars Porsena on a mission to kill Porsena, thereby showing his valour and refusing to divulge information about his co-conspirators.

 

Ps:  Scaevola rarely votes.  He does not downvote.  That's just the way he is.