Some sofas that I've, ah...known?:

- A modest den sofa in our house in New York, in the room with the bar and the TV. It was maroon, a bit scratchy, with wide wooden armrests, and served as my cushion forst resource on Saturday mornings as well as dad's napping sofa. My mother gave me eardrops on it when I was sick. I was sitting on it when I first saw Audrey Rose, which scared the fucking hell out of me - so much that I was sick all night.

- Another seventies gem, pale yellow with yellow and green flowers. Long but not wide. Really comfortable, and always cool to the touch. The premier cushion fort HQ for watching Saturday morning cartoons and Sesame Street. We all used it for naps and my parents were sitting on it watching a golf tournament the first time I threatened to run away. They thought it was cute and took a Polaroid. I was the biggest dork in the world.

- My grandmother's sofa. It was a walnut brown, with wooden armrests. My Uncle Dave watched TV on it while eating Cheerios from the box. The main sitting area for Christmas, and for The Addams Family, I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, and The Munsters.

- Yet another jewel from the seventies: orange and gold, plump and chic, in the living room. This was where my parents sat when we had Christmas in Florida, where I sat to listen to my mother play the piano, and where I stashed my contraband Eddie Murphy tapes.

So"fa (?), n.; pl. Sofas (#). [Ar. soffah, from saffa to dispose in order: cf. F. sofa, It.sofa.]

A long seat, usually with a cushioned bottom, back, and ends; -- much used as a comfortable piece of furniture.

Let fall the curtains, wheel the sofa round. Cowper.

Sofa bed, a sofa so contrived that it may be extended to form a bed; -- called also sofa bedstead.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.