This node might be called "Spying on people in the shower", but the spying concepts covered are really applicable to many situations. This writeup will cover some of the most common methods, and a few you might not have thought of.

"Peeping"
The most obvious is "peeping", or looking through a hole. This can also include looking through a window, looking through the fan in the roof or looking through a one way mirror. There are a few problems with this method.
  • When looking through a window; the entire top of your head, not just your eye, can be seen by the spyee in the shower (or wherever).
  • Looking through a fan in the roof also has many problems. For starters, lots of fans cannot be seen through, and can cause safety issues (like you leaning to close and having the fan gouge out your eye.
  • One way mirrors are expensive and difficult to set up. It's also only a valid option if you are going to have spyees in your house.
The problem with this method is that it is so obvious, and people are always subconsciously on the look-out for it. If you're serious (and don't want to get caught), one of the following methods are more highly recommended.

Video Cameras
The next method we will discuss is the usage of video cameras. The two main types of cameras that can be used are common hand-held cameras, such as the Sony Handicam, or proper surveillence cameras. The latter are not as expensive as you may think, and due to their nature will be the choice which will be discussed here.

Small cameras usually need a 12 volt power source, which can be provided by 8 (1.5*8=12) batteries in an adapter, or special 12 volt batteries. Since the power source does not have to be on (or in) the camera, it can be hidden in a drawer (or wherever) and have a long cable to it.

Having the actual image sent from the camera to a recording device or simply to a television is slightly more difficult, but still easy. The cameras in question have a single A/V lead coming out of them, which can be very long and simple to hide. These can go directly into the back of a VCR (or other recording device) for recording, or into the back of a television for instant viewing.

The camera needs to be placed where it will not be seen. This can include places such as:
  • Pot plants, or other decorations
  • In a small pile of clothes in the bathroom (or wherever applicable)
  • In a normal dark area of the room, such as an air vent or fan
People aren't usually on the look-out for such devices, and as such aren't usually noticed. On the other hand, if you don't hide the camera well enough and it is seen, it will be a very difficult situation to explain.

Mirrors
This is a truly effective method. It requires very cheap apparatus: one small (2"x2" or 5cm x 5cm) mirror. If you are really poor, you can use what you no doubt have lying around: a Compact Disc. This is placed on the ground under the bathroom door, and lying down you look at the reflection on the mirror.

Once you play around with the angle and placement of the mirror a bit, you should get a very interesting view of the spyee. Also, using the mirror above the door, or in combination with the "peeping" method.




DISCLAIMER: I am not some kind of sicko, nor a spy, nor a surveillance expert. This writeup is intended to be as much humourous -- and to make you think -- as to be truly informative in the ways of being a peeper.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.