Wow, no one has used the node title 'chicken soup' in which to node their chicken soup recipe? I am honoured indeed. I am also happy that none of those fake chicken soup recipes get to go here and I get to pass on my mother's recipe which I have slightly modified. I believe most people would classify it as a Jewish recipe. This chicken soup recipe produces a clear tasty broth or consumé (consommé) that is great for curing ills especially colds and flu. Also, don't fuss over finely cutting vegetables to get a mirepoix or anything like that. Large chunks from which you can extract the flavour and later sieve them out is fine. You can also experiment with changing the amount of vegies you add as well till you get the combination that suits you and the type and quality of ingredients that you have. For me making chicken soup is a ritual.

Chicken Soup

1 large boiling chicken - I can't usually find a boiling chicken locally though I wish I could as they give a much better taste. If you can't, I recommend using an organically grown chicken and not one of those batch hens with little to no flavour.
1 large Onion - cut it in two and you can leave the husking layers on if you like.
2 large Carrots - cut into 1-1 1/2 inch sections and halve if you really feel like it.
1 medium Celariac (celery root) - hard to find but when in season (usually the start of winter here) it adds a nice strong
celery flavour. If you can't get it don't worry maybe add more celery to your liking.
1/2 Celery - break in sections, wash and leave out the old mangey looking leaves at the top.
A good handful of parsley - whack a good bunch of parsley in, yum!
whole peppercorns - I add quite a few as i like the taste. Maybe add 6-12.
water - goes without saying really but enough water to cover the chicken and the vegetables you intend to cook
Optionals - consider maybe adding leek, shallots, parsnip, turnip and cloves and bay leaves. Any white vegetables are fine to add. Don't get carried away. You are after a strong chicken taste augmented by the clean flavours of the vegetables.

Method

Put the chicken in the pot with the vegetables and spices. Cover with water. Sometimes you might need a heavy lid or a weighted lid turned upside down to push the chicken down into the water. Bring to boil quickly (I've found this to produce the best results). Once it starts boiling skim off coagulated proteins and scum off the top. Bring it off the boil until the water is just rolling gently(simmer).

Simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Yes that's right. You want all the goodness in the water. Check periodically to skim off fat that has now risen to the surface and pooled between the floating vegetables.

Remove the chicken. Sieve the vegetables away from the liquid. You should now have a slightly brownish clear liquid. Season the liquid with salt. Don't overdo it with the salt. I have to say though that you do need quite a bit of salt to bring out the full flavour.

Serving Suggestion

Put some hand shredded meat from the chicken back in the soup.
Add some vermicilli noodles
This sounds weird but severely brown to almost burn some thin slices of onion and add it into the soup. The slightly bitter flavour of the onions tastes great. Try it!
Quickly whisk an egg into the mix to give yourself a good energy boost or if you need a real pick me up
That's it.. ENJOY!

Understand first, there is nothing homemade about this. It's supposed to be scarcasm. But it's a good thing, simply 'cause I can't cook, and this type of recipe works for those who can, and for those doomed to eat spaghettios and mac 'n cheese for a good portion of their lives.

The Ingredients:
More details provided in the directions...

Keep in mind, this is entirely up for changes. This is just a base idea of what to throw in. You can add or modify most anything. And as far as how much of what you need... it depends on the size of the pot. (And no, don't put weed in the soup, you pot head, just smoke it already.)

5 cups of water
2 cups of pasta
1 package of prepared chicken pieces
half a carrot
one stalk of celery
3 chicken cubes
onion powder
parsley
sage
salt
black pepper


optional: 1/2 a potato


Directions:

1. Boil 5 cups of water.

2. While water is boiling, take your 1/2 of carrot, celery stalk and potato if you have one (a potato thickens up the soup a bit and makes it starchy) and throw then in a chopper (or do it by hand if you don't have one). Turn it on the highest setting and make a vegetable paste almost. Why? Real moms/grandmas spend time simmering big huge chunks of vegetables down to nothing over hours. You want your soup quick! If you want pieces of veges for eating with the soup itself, cut up additional pieces and save them to throw in later.

3. Mash up your 3 chicken cubes. Recommended you use Maggi chicken cubes, a Venezuelan product, look in the Import Isle at the supermarket. They are big, so if you use some brand name that come in small little cubes, then use 6 or so. Again, it depends on how much soup you make. Get a paper plate and use the handle of a knife to mash them up into a powder (or close to it).

4. Take a table spoon or two of parsley flakes into the palm of your hand. Rub your palms together grinding up the parsley into a finer flake onto the paper plate. Also on the pate, add about another 2 tablespoons of onion powder. One tablespoon of sage, a teaspoon of salt... (if that, chicken cubes are usually salty, you might not need any more) and grind up some black pepper, as much as you think you can handle. More if you are sick :) It clears out your nose.

5. When the water comes to a boil, empty the contents of your plate into the water as well as the vegetable paste you made. You should see most everything dissolve except a few carrot pieces and the parsley flakes float to the top. Let that come to a small rolling boil and let it sit for a minute while you fetch the rest of your stuff.

6. Chicken Pieces. You want already prepared chicken. When people make soup, it's ususally pieces picked off a bird and they are already cooked. It will take time to have to do that yourself, and we want quick and easy. Recommend Louis Rich or Perdue Short Cuts. Preferable a simple grilled chicken without too many seasonings, that's what all that other stuff was for. Cut any big pices down to bite size. Add the chicken and pasta/noodles as well as any other veges you want to add to the pot. Let it come to another boil. And your soup is done when the pasta has cooked through. Don't over cook the pasta, if anything, undercook it. The longer it sits in your broth the more it will turn to mush.

And of course, add soup crackers, or croutons, or sprinkle cheese on top of your soup, but you are essentially done! Woo!

Prep time is about 20ish minutes. Serves as many as you make enough for.

Leftovers should be stripped of the pasta. The broth & chicken can be used again, but you should cook up fresh pasta with it if you decide to reheat it later.

mmmmmmm, soup :)

This is a basic chicken soup recipe, for those noders that lack the inclination to spend hours slaving over food preparation, or for those who are too sick to give a fsck.

Ingredients

  • 1 whole chicken (you can buy frozen chicken, see if I care)
  • 1/2 Kg Chicken Wings
  • 1 Kg Beef shoulder meat
  • 1 Celery (that means the stalks of what we call here American Celery. The one you use for Bloody Marys)
  • 5 Carrots
  • 5 Large, White and peeled Onions
  • 5 Parsley Roots (they look like white carrots, and have a wonderful aroma)
  • 2 Leeks
  • 3 Teaspoons of Salt for seasoning.
Preparation
  • In a large pot, put chicken, wings and beef, cover with water, then bring to a boil.
  • Turn the fire down, and cook for an hour, then add the vegetables
  • Season with salt, and cook for another hour.
*** Note: This is the basic jewish mother chicken soup, made with care and administered for a variety of ailments.

Chicken Soup without the Chicken

This was invented to comfort a neighbor who was suffering with the flu and needed some sympathy. I had no chicken for the traditional cure, chicken soup, so I made it without the chicken. Did I mention that I'm not fond of cooking but I felt some gesture of commiseration would be in order?

Ingredients


Method

Cover the bottom of a large pot with olive oil. Squeeze into it the contents of a couple links of hot Italian sausage. Stir it around until it changes color. Add an enormous quantity of chopped onions (I used frozen) and enough garlic that would make its presence known even through blocked nasal passages (I used garlic in a jar).

Stir over medium flame until the sausage meat just starts to form a crust. Stand back and pour in the contents of a can or two of chicken stock or reconstituted chicken broth made with bouillon. Bring to a boil and add a small handful of raw pasta. Follow package directions until the pasta is done. Sprinkle in bruised herbs. (Another neighbor has a herb garden growing on the wall of his back porch. I was sure he wouldn't mind contributing to the welfare of our neighbor, so I grabbed some basil and oregano, while the house was still asleep.)

Continue heating just a few more minutes. Cool and decant into a large jar with character and a lid. (I used a couple mason jars. Like they say, presentation is everything.)

About ten years ago I was laboring under the false assumption that soups were something only an "expert" cook was capable of making. Man, was I wrong.

Soup, it turns out, is one of the easiest foods there is to make. Boil water and vegetables and meat (if you're a carnivore), add some rice or pasta and some spices, and you've got a meal. No recipe really needed, but if you really must follow one, there are thousands out there.

My chicken soup recipe developed over the course of several years. There is not a week that passes in which I don't make chicken soup. One pot of this stuff feeds my family of five for at least two meals, plus a couple of stray bowls here and there. Best of all, it costs less than $5 to make a pot, when chickens are on sale.

Ingredients

Procedure

Get the largest stock pot you own (mine is 16 quart) and fill it about half way with water. Put it on the stove, add your herbs, spices, and bouillion, toss the entire chicken in the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a fast simmer.

When the chicken starts looking cooked, remove it from the pot and put it on the cutting board. Turn the stove off for a while. Let the chicken cool down until you can touch it without getting scalded. Using a small kitchen knife, cut as much of the meat from the bones as you can. (I always crack and save the larger bones in a large Ziploc bag in the freezer for the next time I make soup, just yank them out and toss them in the pot with the chicken. If you ever do this, make sure you remove all of the bones from the pot before adding the cut up chicken and the veggies. The marrow makes for a richer broth.) Put the meat back into the pot.

Chop up your vegetables to chunks about one to two inches in size, depending how chunky you like your soups. Toss them and the canned vegetables into the pot, adding enough water to cover all of your stuff and an inch or two for good measure. For seeding the tomatoes, I've always found that cutting them around their middles, then running a hard stream of water from the faucet over the cut ends gets most of the seeds out.

Let the whole mess come to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and leave it, stirring occasionally. When the rutabaga pieces are easily stabbed with a fork, add the rice or macaroni. Let the soup bubble for another 20 to 30 minutes, remove from the stove, and serve. Before serving, you can, if you like, run the hand blender through the soup for a minute or two. This will mush up some of the vegetables, making for a thicker, heartier broth, almost like a stew. If you only have a standard blender, you can remove a few ladel-fulls of soup and puree for a minute or two, then return to the pot.

I serve this with homemade bread and butter, and huge glasses of ice cold milk. It is the only way I have found to get lots of vegetables into my kids without any fuss whatsoever.

 

Lazy ass winter warmer chicken soup – for when it’s cold, you’ve got some root vegetables on the turn, are feeling a bit under the weather and just need to give yourself some TLC.

Take:

  • 2 chicken thigh and leg portions
  • 1 medium white onion, chopped
  • 2 medium carrots, diced
  • 2 medium potatoes, diced
  • ¾ cup farmhouse soup mix (split peas, beans, lentils, barley etc.)
  • 3 bay leaves
  • ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • ¼ teaspoon each ground coriander & mustard seed
  • Oil
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 litre hot water

Do:

  1. Fry off the chicken pieces in a little oil till golden. Set aside.
  2. Sweat the onion in the oil & chicken juices till glassy. Add the bay leaf and other flavourings, the carrot and the potato. Cover with the water and return the chicken to the pot.
  3. Bring soup to high simmer, then add the grain mix and continue to simmer vigorously for 5-10 minutes. Remove the chicken pieces using tongs, lower the heat and partially cover the pot.
  4. Strip the chicken meat off the bones and dice it, then return everything back to the pot and add the parsley. Adjust seasoning and continue to simmer gently for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
  5. Eat.

BrevityQuest07

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.