Jewish.
A sole word defining my existence.

Christians say Judaism by birth is a beautiful thing.
They have no idea how awkward it really is.

I’m an atheist, hence people are disappointed in me. They want me to defend the existence of God. Modern atheists are to be admired, Jewish atheists are traitors.

People look at my nose before they look at my eyes, trying to find out whether I’ve got physical features that are thought typically Jewish.
I have a small nose.
They think I had a nose job.

I became a member of the local synagogue solely because my parents would have liked me to, I never go there. Jewish holidays mean as much to me as Islamic ones.
When my friends discuss Hitler’s regime and its consequences, they always look at me with pity. They lower their voices and ask whether I feel offended.
I don’t have much thoughts about the second world war. I think it’s quite awful what happened, but I don’t think my opinion differs from any choi. (I had to think a while before I recalled the word “choi”.)

I once fell in love with a wonderful person. He rejected me cause of my background. Not because he didn’t like Jews, but beause he was quite ideological and wanted me to get hooked on another Jew. Silly, harsh, I don’t know, but it broke my heart.
I kept my background a secret ever since.

Judaism is a life-long ‘extraeveryone expects you to enjoy.

Too little choice, too many prejudices.

I have a friend from Argentina, Jew by birth and also an atheist that once told me why Judaism has been historically hunted:

It was the only religion that forced its followers to read by themselves their particular holy writings

As a defensive and evolutionary measure it is quite good, because you are assured that at least, Jews would read and write.

Jew"ish (?), a.

Of or pertaining to the Jews or Hebrews; characteristic of or resembling the Jews or their customs; Israelitish.

-- Jew"ish*ly, adv. -- Jew"ish*ness, n.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.