As a food preparation method, to chop is to cut food into irregularly shaped pieces. Despite the Webster 1913 definition, it should not be confused with mince, dice or chiffonade to name a few other methods that refer to specific sizes or shapes.

The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, the first medical institution in America dedicated purely to caring for sick and injured children. CHoP first opened its doors in 1855 and today has a reputation as one of the finest pediatric hospitals in the USA, and indeed worldwide.

As well as the "front-line" services such as cure and care, CHoP has a large research facility which investigates a wide range of ailments affecting children. Of particular historical note is that vaccines for mumps, whooping cough and influenza were developed there, and currently much work is involved investigating child cancer and HIV.

Node what you don't know: information compiled predominately from CHoP website after an unrelated conversation!

A Perl function which chops off the last character of a string and returns that character.

If all you want to do is remove the trailing newline, you might be better off using chomp.

If you chop a list, everything in the list gets chopped.

Chop is equivalent to substr($foo, -1, 1, "");

chomper = C = Christmas tree

CHOP /chop/ n.

[IRC] See channel op.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

Chop is the nom de MC of Cherub Stewart, a practitioner of hip hop who has been dropping science for the past five years. She hails from the dirty south and makes music that is positive and good.

She rhymes with unbridled speed and a deep passion for increasing consciousness in her audience. love is Chop's raison d'etre: love of sounds and love of people. Teaching is natural to her as she has worked for many years in education. 

Chop has collaborated on stage and in the studio with the likes of Blu and Exile, Tanya Morgan, M1 of Dead Prez, Wu-Tang Clan, Medusa, Planet Asia, Geechi Suede of Camp Lo, and Shafiq of SA-RA.

Her field of inquiry is versatile in that she addresses both the historical and contemporary stuff like Sucka MCs on the radio.

My favorite track of her's is called School is In. The refrain is catchy and will make you want to join in: school is in, it's fun to learn, time to get in line.

Currently Chop is working on a new mix tape and an EP.

Her favorite smoothie is made with chocolate syrup, hemp milk, spirulina, banana and almond butter.

You can listen to some of her music here.

Discography:

NO YORK BLU Annie Hall f. Chop 
The Offering ALIVE & WELL Seek & Find f. Chop 
Open BLU Part Time Suckas f. Chop 
Summertime BATSAUCE Summatime Summatime f. Chop 
Southern Scramble Dos DILLON America f. Chop

Chop (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Chopped (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Chopping.] [Cf. LG. & D. kappen, Dan. kappe, Sw. kappa. Cf. Chap to crack.]

1.

To cut by striking repeatedly with a sharp instrument; to cut into pieces; to mince; -- often with up.

2.

To sever or separate by one more blows of a sharp instrument; to divide; -- usually with off or down.

Chop off your hand, and it to the king. Shak.

3.

To seize or devour greedily; -- with up.

[Obs.]

Upon the opening of his mouth he drops his breakfast, which the fox presently chopped up. L'estrange.

 

© Webster 1913.


Chop (?), v. i.

1.

To make a quick strike, or repeated strokes, with an ax or other sharp instrument.

2.

To do something suddenly with an unexpected motion; to catch or attempt to seize.

Out of greediness to get both, he chops at the shadow, and loses the substance. L'Estrange.

3.

To interrupt; -- with in or out.

This fellow interrupted the sermon, even suddenly chopping in. Latimer.

 

© Webster 1913.


Chop, v. t. [Cf. D. koopen to buy. See Cheapen, v. t., and cf. Chap, v. i., to buy.]

1.

To barter or truck.

2.

To exchange; substitute one thing for another.

We go on chopping and changing our friends. L'Estrange.

To chop logic, to dispute with an affected use of logical terms; to argue sophistically.

 

© Webster 1913.


Chop, v. i.

1.

To purchase by way of truck.

2. Naut.

To vary or shift suddenly; as, the wind chops about.

3.

To wrangle; to altercate; to bandy words.

Let not the counsel at the bar chop with the judge. Bacon.

 

© Webster 1913.


Chop, n.

A change; a vicissitude.

Marryat.

 

© Webster 1913.


Chop, v. t. & i.

To crack. See Chap, v. t. & i.

 

© Webster 1913.


Chop, n.

1.

The act of chopping; a stroke.

2.

A piece chopped off; a slice or small piece, especially of meat; as, a mutton chop.

3.

A crack or cleft. See Chap.

 

© Webster 1913.


Chop, n. [See Chap.]

1.

A jaw of an animal; -- commonly in the pl. See Chops.

2.

A movable jaw or cheek, as of a wooden vise.

3.

The land at each side of the mouth of a river, harbor, or channel; as, East Chop or West Chop. See Chops.

 

© Webster 1913.


Chop, n. [Chin. & Hind. chap stamp, brand.]

1.

Quality; brand; as, silk of the first chop.

2.

A permit or clearance.

Chop dollar, a silver dollar stamped to attest its purity. -- chop of tea, a number of boxes of the same make and quality of leaf. -- Chowchow chop. See under Chowchow. -- Grand chop, a ship's port clearance.

S. W. Williams.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.