An excellent UK-based alternative news source. Formerly published in paper form every quarter, but due to lack of funds they now only publish books occasionally and run a web site at www.squall.co.uk. The web site still regularly runs features and interviews on subjects which the mainstream media won't touch with a bargepole. They also have a sound system which plays roots reggae and other great music at festivals around the UK.

Squall (?), n. [Cf. Sw. sqval an impetuous running of water, sqvalregn a violent shower of rain, sqala to stream, to gush.]

A sudden violent gust of wind often attended with rain or snow.

The gray skirts of a lifting squall. Tennyson.

Black squall, a squall attended with dark, heavy clouds. -- Thick squall, a black squall accompanied by rain, hail, sleet, or snow. Totten. -- White squall, a squall which comes unexpectedly, without being marked in its approach by the clouds.

Totten.

 

© Webster 1913.


Squall, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Squalled (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Squalling.] [Icel. skvala. Cf. Squeal.]

To cry out; to scream or cry violently, as a woman frightened, or a child in anger or distress; as, the infant squalled.

 

© Webster 1913.


Squall, n.

A loud scream; a harsh cry.

There oft are heard the notes of infant woe, - The short, thick sob, loud scream, and shriller squall. Pope.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.