Leafy county just south of London where many City bankers and aging rock stars live. Some of the county got swallowed up by Greater London in the 60s, including the town of Kingston which is still the administrative centre.

Major towns in Surrey include Guildford, Woking, Staines, Dorking and Reigate and it has a population of just over a million.

Other interesting places in Surrey are Hampton Court, Runnymede (where the Magna Carta was signed) and the Epsom racecourse (where the Derby is held).

It is also apparently the greenest county in England.

Also has a successful county cricket side.

Also a suburb of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, Surrey is a city of over 300,000, and is both Canada's fastest-growing city and its car theft capitol.

Located south of the Frasier River, between Delta and Langley, Surrey's rapid growth has as much to do with its recent influx of new businesses as with its extensive low-income housing projects; a phenomenon which has led to the Vancouver-area stereotype of the 'Surrey Girl'; fashionably-dressed, vapid, and as numerous as the leaves on the trees.

Sur"rey (?), n.

A four-wheeled pleasure carriage, (commonly two-seated) somewhat like a phaeton, but having a straight bottom.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.