The T-10C parachute, manufactured by Pioneer Aero Corporation, is one of two types of static line deployed parachutes used by the U.S. military for delivery troops by air. The T-10 series of parachutes replaced the older T-7 model in the 1950s. The main improvement over older canopies is its use of a deployment bag (D-bag). When a parachutist exits the aircraft, he or she falls to the end of the 15' static line, which breaks a tie that holds the packed parachute closed. The D-bag containing the canopy is pulled from the pack tray and the jumper continues to fall another 25' to the end of the suspension lines which attach the main canopy to his harness. The canopy is then pulled from the D-bag, the tie attaching it to the static line/D-bag is broken, and the canopy inflates. The static line/D-Bag assembly remains attached to the aircraft. Earlier parachutes pulled the canopy directly from the pack tray and it opened into the prop blast of the aircraft, resulting in a severe opening shock. The T-10C is the latest upgrade to the T-10 series and improves on earlier models with the addition of an 18" anti-inversion net around the the skirt of the canopy to help prevent malfunctions, and quick-release assemblies which allow the parachutist to detach the canopy from the harness to avoid being dragged on the ground in windy conditions.

Some of the features of the T-10C are:

  • 35 foot diameter, parabolic canopy with a 20 inch vent at the apex
  • Weight of ~30 lbs
  • 30 suspension lines with a length of 25.5 feet and a tensile strength of 375 pounds each
  • Rate of descent is between 19 and 23 feet per second, depending on the weight of the parachutist
  • Attached to the T-10 harness by 4 nylon webbing risers
  • Repacked every 120 days
The T-10C can be used from a minimum height of 435 feet to a maximum of 10,000 feet. The canopy is not steerable, but can be slipped laterally by pulling on one or two of the risers. In training jumps, the T-10 troop chest reserve parachute is used as a backup. For combat jumps, the reserve is optional. Source: US Army FM 57-220 Static Line Parachute Techniques and Training.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.