Tammy Baldwin, representing Wisconsin's second congressional district in the U.S. House Of Representatives, which includes Madison and its environs, is the first woman to represent Wisconsin in Congress, and the first and only person in America to be first elected to that body as an open homosexual. (Barney Frank of Massachusetts, the first openly homosexual person to serve, came out while in Congress.) Baldwin is also therefore the first open lesbian to serve.

She was raised in Madison and attended Smith College. In 1986, at the age of 24, she was elected to the Dane County board of supervisors, and was elected to the Wisconsin state assembly in 1992. Her first election to the U.S. House in 1998 and re-election in 2000 were characterized by a large turnout of young people.

Congresswoman Baldwin serves on the House Budget and Judiciary Committees, and she is a member of the Congressional Progressive Caucus. She considers herself "A strong supporter of civil rights and an advocate for those in our society whose voices, too often, are not heard."

To drop some words of encouragement, you can reach Congresswoman Baldwin at (202) 225-2906 or drop by her office in room 1022 of the Longworth House office building.

help from http://www.house.gov/baldwin/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.