The Big Nate COMMENTS Wiki is one of the literally thousands of wikis hosted on the FANDOM network. However, it is a bit more unique than most wikis. While most wikis are encyclopedic in nature, the BNCW is more focused on interactions between its users.

To be fair, the Big Nate COMMENTS Wiki did start out somewhat encyclopedic in nature. It was created to document the comments section for Big Nate on GoComics.

But why make a wiki about a comments section?

Well, for whatever reason, out of all the comic strips on GoComics, Big Nate is prone to the most spam and trolling in the comments. This might have something to do with the fact that most of Big Nate's target audience is under the age of 13, which is usually the minimum age most websites require their userbase to be.

In 2017, a user by the name of TrapperClicker founded the wiki, in response to the first Poll War (yes, they examine arguments in the comments section exactly like D-Day or Stalingrad). Over time, the wiki would attract more and more users, most notably BiggerNate91, Swasimcool, Henry Hudson, ZachOWott, ItsP-Dog, Ak-Elfs, Moon man is gone, and ChemicalChaos. These names probably seem insignificant to the casual reader, but they would generate instant recognition on the wiki. The wiki would also gradually lose sight of its original purpose for documenting the comments section. It instead turned into a place where the members of the comments section could hang out, free from all the trolls and underage children. They started making "community activity" pages, which were basically community surveys, sometimes completely unrelated to the comments section. They wrote fanfiction, sometimes focusing on the wiki's own users rather than Big Nate. They hosted competitions. It was essentially a mix between Reddit and Discord, but using the FANDOM software. Oh yeah, and as for TrapperClicker? He eventually regretted creating the wiki, and attempted to delete it. It backfired and his account got terminated.

When I first stumbled upon the wiki, I never thought something like it would exist. For some reason, the fact that a group of users created an online community about a comic strip, that's since become a vibrant hub of activity is fascinating to me. Lifelong friendships have been made on the wiki, just because someone got the idea to document 9-year-olds spamming a comments section on a wiki. I first joined the wiki when I was 15. I am now 18, and have come and gone many times. Some might be wondering why, since it's mostly just teenagers shit-posting at this point. The thing is, I doubt I'll ever be able to forget it. And I doubt many other users will too. Some may look back on their days on the wiki with nostalgia, others with regret. In a sense, the wiki is like the Hotel California: You can check out anytime you'd like. But you can never leave.

Useful links

You can view the wiki here
The Complete History of the Wiki
New User's Guide
Featured Articles

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.