Universal Pictures / Universal Home Video
Released: June 15, 2004
Rated: M (Australia)
Directed by: Peter Chung
Starring: Vin Diesel, Rhiana Griffith, Keith David, Roger L. Jackson, Tress MacNeille (voice talent)
Original music by: Machine Head
Running time: 30 minutes

Dark Fury is intended to bridge the gap between Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick. Picking up not long after the end of Pitch Black, Dark Fury tells the brief (but satisfying) story of Riddick, Imam and Jack being captured by a rowdy band of mercenaries lead by the cool and collected Junner (Roger L. Jackson), and the decadent Chillingsworth (Tress MacNeille).

It's a stereotypical storyline: heroes are captured, heroes escape, heroes kill captors. Because Dark Fury is designed to be a filler, there isnt much more to it.

Dark Fury is the latest in a growing family of animated mini-stories made parallel to their big brother blockbusters, released direct to DVD. Others in this reign include the magnificent Animatrix and Van Helsing: The London Assignment.

As a stand alone story Dark Fury does quite well for itself - it is fast paced with split-second action scenes in true Peter Chung style. The animation reflects Chung's growing talent - the characters still have his characteristic elongated figure, yet somehow look more human than, say, Aeon Flux.

The DVD includes the original animatic: the animated equivalent to a storyboard, as well as interviews with Vin Diesel, Peter Chung and the directors and producers of the Dark Fury project. It also has a plug for the upcoming Van Helsing mini feature.

If you can, watch Dark Fury before The Chronicles of Riddick - you will enjoy the latter much more because of it.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.