Last year, when I was looking through Slashdot, I came across the article 'Hacking to be Declared Illegal (http://slashdot.org/yro/00/10/25/1153258.shtml). I went to the Council of Europe, read the draft of the Cybercrime Treaty in question, and saved a copy of it as "Hacker Holocaust." I didn't know that file name was catchy enough to sound like it's coming true.

and a few days ago, I've picked this up in the news:

"Open source is an intellectual-property destroyer. I can't imagine something that could be worse than this for the software business and the intellectual-property business. I'm an American, I believe in the American Way. I worry if the government encourages open source, and I don't think we've done enough education of policymakers to understand the threat."

-From Jim Allchin, Vice President of the Platforms Product Group in Microsoft.
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-4833927.html

"LiVid is dedicated to the idea that all computer source code should be 'open,' even if that means stealing and disseminating protected intellectual property. To that end, Pavlovich posted the DeCSS program on this website, thereby misappropriating DVD CCA's trade secrets."

-The DVD CCA's opposition to Matthew Pavlovich's motion of quash service of summons for lack of jurisdiction in the state of California.
http://cryptome.org/dvd-v-521-opq.htm

To define this in a nutshell, this "Hacker Holocaust" I have in my mind is the way in which major corporations and control groups like Microsoft and the MPAA with the government to destroy Open Source and all related matters (operating systems, advocacy, whatnot). The big companies and the U.S. Government wants to make sure the 'victims' are isolated from the general populace and have their future killed off. If I was a Computer Science student who's into making things work I would be out of a job. "What? You're one of those Open Source types? You're not welcome here."

If in the future, anybody sees actual hackers getting thrown off to the equivalent of furnances, please re-define this to what really happened.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.