You may remember the dolls from the 80's: 'My Buddy' and 'Kid Sister'. They were about two feet tall, and kids would lug them around. 'My Buddy' was a success, eventually spawning 'Kid Sister' - which brings me to this subject. I was thinking about this writeup this morning, and I've come across lots of evidence that proves my theory.

Let's begin: at the beginning!

In 1985, Hasbro introduced 'My Buddy', a companion doll for kids. It was a tremendous success, and toy stores everywhere carried them. The success of the male doll led Hasbro to create a female companion - 'Kid Sister'. It would seem that our little 'Kid Sister' was an afterthought of Buddy's success.

Now, let's compare marketing between the two. We'll take a look at their respective jingles.

My Buddy:
My Buddy! (My Buddy!)
My Buddy! (My Buddy!)
Wherever I go, he goes.
My Buddy! (My Buddy!)
My Buddy! (My Buddy!)
My Buddy and me!

Kid Sister:
Kid Sister! (Kid Sister!)
Kid Sister! (Kid Sister!)
Wherever I go, you're gonna go
Kid Sister! (Kid Sister!)
Kid Sister! (Kid Sister!)
Kid Sister and me!

Clearly, this demonstrates that 'My Buddy' has free will, while 'Kid Sister' will do as she's told.

Now we move to their names. Let's use them in a sentence:

"This is My Buddy!" (Implying friendship, and companionship.)


"This is my Kid Sister." (Implying a burden, and a tag-along.)

Later, 'My Buddy' proceeded to (indirectly) launch a high-profile movie career. The character of 'Chucky' in Child's Play was modelled after 'My Buddy'. While 'My Buddy' was enjoying his success, 'Kid Sister' was left to fade into obscurity.

From the clarity and amount of evidence, we must conclude that 'My Buddy' was enjoying his success early in his career. When 'Kid Sister' came along, 'My Buddy' became jealous that his newer, younger sister was stealing some of his spotlight. He then used his market muscle to undermine his little sister's career, causing these little slip-ups in her marketing. When he vanquished his evil sister, he went on to start his acting career as alter-ego 'Chucky', leaving 'Kid Sister' to be forgotten.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.