Kids (1995) is a film directed by Larry Clark about kids growing up in NYC. The plot centers around Telly (Leo Fitzpatrick), who must be about 16, who fancies himself a real pimp and goes around deflowering virgins. He has HIV, but doesn't care to tell any of his partners or use condoms, including Jennie (Chloë Sevigny).

Telly: "But like, if you deflower a girl man, man, you're the man. No one can ever do that again. You're the only one. No one, no one, has the power to do that again."

Telly: "Condoms don't work. They either break, or they slip off, or they make your dick shrink. Nah, but you still gotta use em, yo. At least I did once."

It's quite a disturbing film, especially when you consider that most of the actors aren't -- they're just kids from New York that the director found to put in his film.
Back to Serial Experiments Lain

The K.I.D. System (KIDs) was an experiment conducted about 15 years before the events in Lain by Prof. Hodgson. This device, by using something called an outer receptor, would collect and join the PSI (psychic) power of the children involved in the experiment. However, the system also killed the children involved and Hodgson ended his experiments.

Later, the KIDs technology was found by Eiri Masami and Knights, who used it for their purposes in a game called PHANTOMa.

In the early 70s, KIDS was a children's magazine that had as its "gimmick" that it was, as much as possible, created by kids, with a minimum of grownup intervention. Children submitted stories, pictures, and other material, and I think there were other children involved in the editing process. The result was something much less slick and professional than other magazines, but something that kids felt an involvement with because they could create things for it themselves. One of its founders (a grownup) was Jenette Kahn, who later was the founding editor of another children's magazine, Dynamite, and still later became the publisher of DC Comics. KIDS only lasted a few years in the early '70s, and towards its end seemed to be messing around with its format way too much (as floundering companies often do; you see a lot of that with websites these days, as the ones that are probably about to go out of business keep rearranging their Titanic deck chairs wildly).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.