A faker; a swindler.

- american underworld lingo - 1950

A sofware design artifact first used extensively in Objectory and later incorporated into UML.
An actor is a set of roles a user can play in a system while interacting with it. A user can either be a physical person or an external system.
The actor arifact is used together with use cases to show how users interact with the system.

Ακτωρ

1. A Thessalian hero, sometimes said to be the son of Myrmidon and Pisidice who was one of the daughters of Aeolus (see Myrmidon), and sometimes said to be a Lapith, the son of Phorbas and Hyrmine, the daughter of Apeius (Table 23) and Helios. In the latter version Actor was accordingly the father of Augias (Table 14). The traditions about his descendants are as variable as those about his ancestry. Sometimes he is regarded as the father of Menoetius, and consequently the grandfather of Patroclus, and sometimes he is taken to be the father of the Molionidae Eurytus and Cteatus and the dynasty of Elis (see Thalpius). Like many of the Thessalian heroes he had a Peloponnesian double. Actor reigned at Pheres in Thessaly and Peleus came to him when, after being banished by his father for having killed Phocus, he was searching for someone who was willing and ready to purify him. Actor agreed to do so, kept Peleus near him, and on his death bequeathed him his kingdom. According to this version of the legend Actor was said to have had a son, Eurytion (3), who took part in the Calydonian hunt, and a daughter, Philomela.

2. Another Actor, from Orchomenos, was a descendant of Phrixus (Table 33).

{E2 DICTIONARY OF CLASSICAL MYTHOLOGY}

Table of Sources:

  1. - Apollod. Bibl. 1, 7, 3; 1, 8, 2
    - schol. on Apoll. Rhod. Arg. 1, 558; 4, 816
    - Diod. Sic. 4, 72

Ac"tor (#), n. [L. actor, fr. agere to act.]

1.

One who acts, or takes part in any affair; a doer.

2.

A theatrical performer; a stageplayer.

After a well graced actor leaves the stage. Shak.

3. Law (a)

An advocate or proctor in civil courts or causes.

Jacobs. (b)

One who institutes a suit; plaintiff or complainant.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.