I want to hold you close
I want to feel you near

This isn't about sex
Compared to this sex is a cold, tawdy act

I want to feel your arms around me
Run your fingers through my hair

To feel your lips brushing my neck
Your soft breath warming that spot between my neck and shoulders

My fingernails softly tracing your back

Then ever so gentle
Place your lips on mine

That is what close is
That is what I yearn for



- Victoria Palmer

side by side

tentative proximity
leap of abandon
heart racing contact
resurrected life
uninhibited passion
carefree elation


almost

curious interest
rush of excitement
uncertain approach
collapse of courage
hasty retreat
distant longing
wistful memories


end

crushing frustration
final embrace
confused goodbye
vanishing intimacy
sudden loneliness
empty nights

 

I saw a wreck once.

A car crash, not pretty.

Lots of blood,

lots of glass.

I saw it up close.

 

I found a coin once.

It came in some change.

It was rare, it was pretty.

I gave it away.

 

I met a man once.

A bad one, and handsome.

I made myself pretty

and pulled him in close.

 

I took a pill once.

It was red, it was pretty.

I took seven more.

Threw the bottle away.

 

I heard a voice once.

It was sweet, it was pretty.

I knew what was coming.

I knew it was close.

Close (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Closed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Closing.] [From OF. & F. clos, p. p. of clore to close, fr. L. claudere; akin to G. schliessen to shut, and to E. clot, cloister, clavicle, conclude, sluice. Cf. Clause, n.]

1.

To stop, or fill up, as an opening; to shut; as, to close the eyes; to close a door.

2.

To bring together the parts of; to consolidate; as, to close the ranks of an army; -- often used with up.

3.

To bring to an end or period; to conclude; to complete; to finish; to end; to consummate; as, to close a bargain; to close a course of instruction.

One frugal supper did our studies close. Dryden.

4.

To come or gather around; to inclose; to encompass; to confine.

The depth closed me round about. Jonah ii. 5.

But now thou dost thyself immure and close In some one corner of a feeble heart. Herbert.

A closed sea, a sea within the jurisdiction of some particular nation, which controls its navigation.

 

© Webster 1913.


Close, v. i.

1.

To come together; to unite or coalesce, as the parts of a wound, or parts separated.

What deep wounds ever closed without a scar? Byron.

2.

To end, terminate, or come to a period; as, the debate closed at six o'clock.

3.

To grapple; to engange in hand-to-hand fight.

They boldly closed in a hand-to-hand contest. Prescott.

To close on or upon, to come to a mutual agreement; to agree on or join in. "Would induce France and Holland to close upon some measures between them to our disadvantage." Sir W. Temple. -- To close with. (a) To accede to; to consent or agree to; as, to close with the terms proposed. (b) To make an agreement with. -- To close with the land Naut., to approach the land.

 

© Webster 1913.


Close (?), n.

1.

The manner of shutting; the union of parts; junction.

[Obs.]

The doors of plank were; their close exquisite. Chapman.

2.

Conclusion; cessation; ending; end.

His long and troubled life was drawing to a close. Macaulay.

3.

A grapple in wrestling.

Bacon.

4. Mus. (a)

The conclusion of a strain of music; cadence.

(b)

A double bar marking the end.

At every close she made, the attending throng Replied, and bore the burden of the song. Dryden.

Syn. -- Conclusion; termination; cessation; end; ending; extremity; extreme.

 

© Webster 1913.


Close (? ∨ ?), n. [OF. & F. clos an inclosure, fr. clos, p. p. of clore. See Close, v. t.]

1.

An inclosed place; especially, a small field or piece of land surrounded by a wall, hedge, or fence of any kind; -- specifically, the precinct of a cathedral or abbey.

Closes surrounded by the venerable abodes of deans and canons. Macaulay.

2.

A narrow passage leading from a street to a court, and the houses within.

[Eng.]

Halliwell

3. Law

The interest which one may have in a piece of ground, even though it is not inclosed.

Bouvier.

 

© Webster 1913.


Close (?), a. [Compar. Closer (?); superl. Closest.] [Of. & F. clos, p. p. of clore. See Close, v. t.]

1.

Shut fast; closed; tight; as, a close box.

From a close bower this dainty music flowed. Dryden.

2.

Narrow; confined; as, a close alley; close quarters.

"A close prison."

Dickens.

3.

Oppressive; without motion or ventilation; causing a feeling of lassitude; -- said of the air, weather, etc.

If the rooms be low-roofed, or full of windows and doors, the one maketh the air close, . . . and the other maketh it exceeding unequal. Bacon.

4.

Strictly confined; carefully quarded; as, a close prisoner.

5.

Out of the way observation; secluded; secret; hidden.

"He yet kept himself close because of Saul."

1 Chron. xii. 1

"Her close intent." Spenser.

6.

Disposed to keep secrets; secretive; reticent.

"For servecy, no lady closer."

Shak.

7.

Having the parts near each other; dense; solid; compact; as applied to bodies; viscous; tenacious; not volatile, as applied to liquids.

The golden globe being put into a press, . . . the water made itself way through the pores of that very close metal. Locke.

8.

Concise; to the point; as, close reasoning.

"Where the original is close no version can reach it in the same compass."

Dryden.

9.

Adjoining; near; either in space; time, or thought; -- often followed by to.

Plant the spring crocuses close to a wall. Mortimer.

The thought of the Man of sorrows seemed a very close thing -- not a faint hearsay. G. Eliot.

10.

Short; as, to cut grass or hair close.

11.

Intimate; familiar; confidential.

League with you I seek And mutual amity, so strait, so close, That I with you must dwell, or you with me. Milton.

12.

Nearly equal; almost evenly balanced; as, a close vote.

"A close contest."

Prescott.

13.

Difficult to obtain; as, money is close.

Bartlett.

14.

Parsimonious; stingy.

"A crusty old fellow, as close as a vise."

Hawthorne.

15.

Adhering strictly to a standard or original; exact; strict; as, a close translation.

Locke.

16.

Accurate; careful; precise; also, attentive; undeviating; strict; not wandering; as, a close observer.

17. Phon.

Uttered with a relatively contracted opening of the mouth, as certain sounds of e and o in French, Italian, and German; -- opposed to open.

Close borough. See under Borough. -- Close breeding. See under Breeding. -- Close communion, communion in the Lord's supper, restricted to those who have received baptism by immersion. -- Close corporation, a body or corporation which fills its own vacancies. -- Close fertilization. Bot. See Fertilization. -- Close harmony Mus., compact harmony, in which the tones composing each chord are not widely distributed over several octaves. -- Close time, a fixed period during which killing game or catching certain fish is prohibited by law. -- Close vowel Pron., a vowel which is pronounced with a diminished aperture of the lips, or with contraction of the cavity of the mouth. -- Close to the wind Naut., directed as nearly to the point from which the wind blows as it is possible to sail; closehauled; -- said of a vessel.

 

© Webster 1913.


Close (?), adv.

1.

In a close manner.

2.

Secretly; darkly.

[Obs.]

A wondrous vision which did close imply The course of all her fortune and posterity. Spenser.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.