'Alas! cried the Star-Child, 'I have but one piece of money in my wallet, and if I bring it not to my master he will beat me for I am his slave.'

     But the leper entreated him, and prayed of him, till the Star-Child had pity, and gave him the piece of white gold.

     And when he came to the Magician's house, the Magician opened to him, and brought him in, and said to him, 'Hast thou the piece of white gold?' And the Star-Child answered, 'I have it not.' So the Magician fell upon him, and beat him, and set before him an empty trencher, and said 'Eat,' and an empty cup, and said, 'Drink,' and flung him again into the dungeon.

     And on the morrow the Magician came to him, and said, 'If to-day thou bringest me not the piece of yellow gold, I will surely keep thee as my slave, and give thee three hundred stripes.'

     So the Star-Child went to the wood, and all day long he searched for the piece of yellow gold, but nowhere could he find it. And at sunset he sat him down and began to weep, and as he was weeping there came to him the little Hare that he had rescued from the trap.

     And the Hare said to him, 'Why art thou weeping? And what dost thou seek in the wood?'

     And the Star-Child answered, 'I am seeking for a piece of yellow gold that is hidden here, and if I find it not my master will beat me, and keep me as a slave.'

     'Follow me,' cried the Hare, and it ran through the wood till it came to a pool of water. And at the bottom of the pool the piece of yellow gold was lying.

     'How shall I thank thee?' said the Star-Child, 'for lo! this is the second time that you have succoured me.'

     'Nay, but thou hadst pity on me first,' said the Hare, and it ran away swiftly.

     And the Star-Child took the piece of yellow gold, and put it in his wallet, and hurried to the city. But the leper saw him coming, and ran to meet him and knelt down and cried, 'Give me a piece of money or I shall die of hunger.'

     And the Star-Child said to him, 'I have in my wallet but one piece of yellow gold, and if I bring it not to my master he will beat me and keep me as his slave.'

Back Index Forward

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.