The Táin is a Horslips album. In their unique Celtic rock style, they tell the story of the Táin Bó Cuailgne (the Cattle Raid of Cooley). Following is a track listing, now with brief explanations of each song.

On a more personal note, I wholly recommend you try and find this album somewhere - it's probably the best Horslips album around. Of course, if you don't like Celtic rock, it's hardly for you..

  1. Setanta
    Cu Chulainn's actual name, this song details up to the point when he kills his friend Ferdia.
  2. Maeve's Court
    A rather flowery description of Maeve's fort on the hill in Connacht.
  3. Charolais
  4. The March (part 1)
  5. The March (part 2)
    Charolais is certainly not the legendary Bull. This song is set to Rosc Catha na Mumhan (the Battle Hymn of Munster). The March is a continuation of Charolais.
  6. You Can't Fool the Beast
  7. Dearg Doom
    Dearg Doom -> Red Destroyer. Cu Chulainn's ferocity is the theme to this song.
  8. Ferdia's Song
  9. Gae Bolga
    A reprise of Setanta, concentrating on the part where Cu Chulainn tries to avert the fight between himself and Ferdia. Gae Bolga is Cu Chulainn's magic spear.
  10. Cu Chulainn's Lament
    Cu Chulainn suffers from pangs of conscience. This is possibly the closest medieval Irish heroes got to Goth poetry.
  11. Faster Than the Hound
    The story focuses on MacRoth, a messenger for Maeve. He recounts the events of the Táin.
  12. The Silver Spear
    Buildup to the coming battle. The Ulstermen are readying themselves for battle. How unusual.
  13. More Than You Can Chew
    Set to The March of the King of Laois, this song is Cu Chulainn's warning to Maeve.
  14. The Morrigan's Dream
    Details the upcoming battle. Is considerably more chipper than you'd expect - it's set to Old Noll's Jig.
  15. Time To Kill
    The closing song. The beginning of the battle. An interesting juxtaposition?
    Set to The Humours of Whiskey.

Information partially from vinyl cover and http://www.tuatha.org.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.