The Wheeler School is a privately-run school on 216 Hope Street in Providence, RI. Founded by Mary C. Wheeler, the school has become one of the leading private schools in the United States, with a main campus in Providence and a 120-acre plot in Seekonk, MA (the 'Farm') that acts as a sporting facility and summer camp grounds. Grades include nursery school through high school with the Hamilton School for children with ADD and/or dyslexia. Size of grades varies, but average size is about 15-20 for grades N-8, 75 for 9-12, and 10 for the Hamilton School.

     Wheeler is an extremely liberal school, yet stresses extremely high standards in academics. The Wheeler Academic Decathalon team were winners in their division (small schools) in the national AcDec competition in Pheonix, AZ in 2002. In previous years the team has brought home many awards from the same competition. Being founded by an artist, the school has maintained an exceptional art program. Many graduates have been accepted to the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) a world-reknowned art school, also in Providence.

     Athletics are very popular at Wheeler, and teams remain competitive with other schools in the area. About 85% of students play some form of organized sport each year. Most sports have their respective fields at the Farm and the school busses the players out there every day after school. Sports teams include (coed unless noted) Soccer, Tennis, Cross-country, Field Hockey (girls only), Football (boys only), Basketball, Sailing, Track, Lacrosse, and Golf.

    For more information, contact the school at (401) 421-8100, go to www.wheelerschool.org or write them at:

The Wheeler School

216 Hope Street

Providence, RI 02906

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.