You will do.” The voice says.

I notice I’m no longer at my table drinking coffee, prodding a cold egg with my fork. I am, rather, in a seemingly endless black void. There is a luminescent white point that appears to be speaking to me. Not just a spot mind you, but an actual singularity. I have no idea how I’ve discerned this, or how I can even see it, but that seems to be the way things are.

“Forgive my lack of enthusiasm. I’ve done this so many times that it is nearer a chore than the game I once began. I will give you two choices. Your only option is to choose one. You may live an eternal life of utmost joy and fulfillment while I destroy your entire dimension, or you may die now and save it.”

I don’t think I have the energy to question this situation.

“Did you intend to select a Nihilist for this?” I ask.

“It is true that altruism is not a trait conductive to my game. Many of your kind would not find this decision difficult. I have selected you because I could not predict your decision.”

“Well… I guess I need a moment to think.”

Many moments are allowed to pass.

“I do believe life is meaningless. But I am not avaricious. Eternal life would mean little to me. I suppose I might be a reluctant Nihilist. I once sought an end to meaninglessness, but have long given up. So then perhaps it is greed that leads me to choose death. If I were to artificially assign meaning to life, I would think that one life for a whole dimension is more meaningful than the reverse. So yes, my final decision is my own death. And…”

“Yes?”

"Thank you.”

299

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.