There is no word meaning "To make blue," if there were it would be Bluen we might assume, just as Redden or Blacken?

But how about the rest of the colors? It is considered North Eastern American vernacular to utilize a noun complicit in an action with a given tense in order to fashion a new verb: for example,

"She shoed herself across the floor."

"After a hard day laboring, he was brained."

So, according to this: Blue makes sense as a new verb... just as green or yellow, but what of the many many other colors such as Tobacco, Cornflower, Periwinkle, etc.?

According to modern linguistics, or, more aptly, in accordance with modern linguistics there can be no Orwellian "1984" state of rhetoric, as there will always be a term or more replacing any outmoded words. Perhaps anxiety relating to such matters of lack of freedom of thought and action keep us from allowing ourselves a word which might efficiently describe the coloration of the new sofa by our toddlers' blueberries. (pertaining directly to the color, and not any loss of temper, cleanliness, or possibly even couch!)

Cyanopathy? Or maybe blue (the last Webster definition is "To make blue; to dye of a blue color; to make blue by heating, as metals, etc.").

In addition to plain old "blue" used as a verb (what do you think they do with bluing? They blue things!), there are several such words: "Embluven", "Imblue", "Bluvialate", "Bloviate", "Blutify", etc.

Sadden?

Sorry, I thought you were being metaphorical....

Clearly the word you are all looking for is Blueify.

As in clarify. That link needs blueifying.

n.b. You are supposed to make up words in English (at least) on the fly. This'll be in the OED next year, just mark my words.

There is a word meaning "To Make Purple". To my knowledge it's the only defined word of its type. I have been made aware of another word (thanks, Oolong) meaning "To Make Brown". This brings the total up to two!

The first word is impurple or empurple and is without a doubt one of the coolest words I have ever seen. Haven't you ever wanted to impurple someone or something? Have you ever empurpled an object without realizing you had? Join the club.

The second is imbrown or embrown and though, in my opinion, it lacks the royal class of impurple, I now acknowledge its existence :).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.