Timmins, found in Northeastern Ontario, Canada, is a city of 44000 people, located at (48.20)·(-80.44), housed in the Superior Province of the Precambrian Shield, and of 3210 square km (making it Canada's largest city by area). Timmins' snowfall averages are among the highest in Canada. Timmins' current mayor is Jamie Lim.

Part of a region called "New Ontario", the area of Timmins, named after Noah and Henry Timmins, was filled with gold prospectors. In 1909, it became a significant gold camp, with a railway added in 1911, and the town was founded January 1, 1912, the first mayor being W.H. Wilson. 1911 was a significant year for Timmins, in that on July 11, two days after the first train came to the region, the entire town was burned to the ground, to be rebuilt inside of two months. Timmins was incorporated as a city on January 1, 1973. Highways that service Timmins are the 144, 101, 655 and 11.

One of Timmins' claims to fame is that country singer Shania Twain lived there for some time, as did Nobel Laureate Myron Scholes. There is a street by the name of Shania Twain, as well as a cultural centre.

The current economy of the region is still primarily mining, in gold, zinc, copper, nickel, and silver - with the industries of logging, public administration, business, and tourism filling the rest of the employment pie.

Post-secondary education in Timmins
Université de Hearst
Northern College of Applied Arts and Technology
College Boreal

Galleries of Timmins
La Galeruche
The Timmins Museum
The Miner's Pick Gift Shop
Michael Davidson Studios
Galerie Inuit Plus
Marcel Lafontaine Fine Art Studio

Timmins' sister city is Naoshima, Japan.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.