Tully's is Seattle's "third way" coffee chain. Where Starbucks and Seattle's Best Coffee are about high volumes, latte 'em up, and ship 'em out, Tully's tries to create "atmosphere". It's an oasis. A coffee oasis. See? Tables which are too small to spread out a newspaper on are generally frowned upon at Tully's. Couches and other assorted comfy chairs are preferred. Everything is organized around a natural gas fireplace and several coffee tables are loaded with board games like backgammon, Trivial Pursuit, and Parcheesi. You'll find lots of electric sockets around to plug in laptops. In several stores you can find phone jacks so you can dial your local ISP via modem. It's all about being cozy. Too cozy one ponders at times. What's the motivation to finish your $2 beverage and leave? How much longer before Tully's starts adding shower facilities? The world waits for an answer.

You can find Tully's clustered around the Pacific Northwest (Washington, Oregon, the Bay area and more-or-less-Idaho).

Tully's was founding in 1992 by Tom Tully O'Keefe (hence the name). In only a decade, Tully's has grown to America's third largest specialty coffee chain. It's recently expanded to Asia and Sweden. Tom Tully O'Keefe had been in the real estate business and did not take much notice of the coffee industry until 1991 when Starbucks approached him to rent space in one of his shopping centers. After doing some due diligence, he realized Starbucks had little competition in its market segment and he set out to go head to head with the antichrist itself. And Tully's does go head to head with Starbucks. It purposely opens stores near competing Starbucks, hoping to steal customers away with its more relaxed environs.

In 1999 Tully's took over Seattle's landmark Rainier Brewery plant along the southern portion of the I5. The brewery was considered a landmark because, against the gritty backdrop of docks and rusting cargo ships, the brewery dared to defiantly raise a twelve-foot tall neon red R atop its tallest grain silo. People loved their scarlet R. When Tully's moved in, many wondered what would become of the Giant Red R? Tully's wisely relocated the Red R to the University of Washington's Museum of History and Industry. In its place, they raised a giant neon green T, placating those who need to see an electrically lit keyboard character as they get their ass outta Seattle.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.