Vyvyan Basterd (played by Adrian Edmondson) was the overly violent punk/medical student/pyromaniac character in the 1982/84 BBC TV series 'The Young Ones'. He had bright red/orange hair, 4 metal stars nailed into his forehead, and permanently wore grubby demins with 'Very Metal' spelt out on the back. Vyv was also the proud owner of a yellow Ford Anglia (with flames up the side) and a Scottish hamster called 'Special Patrol Group' (who likes sleeping in front of Vyvyan's car, giving Glasgow kisses to teddy bears, and savaging Vyv) . Amongst his other achievments throughout the two series, he manages to strike oil in the basement, rediscover Narnia, get pregnant, drill nails into his head, bring home body parts, and sets fire to house hippie, Neil's belongings/bed/body at least once an episode.

Vyv's glaringly obvious sociopathalogical problems are probably due in part to his mother, a pink haired, leopard skin skirt wearing harpy, whose first present to him was a box of matches ... when he was 8 weeks old

Some of his funniest lines in the series include :-

I myself have three pairs of socks, and three pairs of knickers. That means I've only worn them... 269 times each since the last wash.

Neil, is it really necessary to nail the plates to the table? What happens when we want to play Monopoly? Go directly to plate? Do not pass plate nailed to the table by a stupid hippie?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.