WRGB has the distinction of being the first broadcast television station. An experimental broadcast was made on January 13, 1928 by General Electric inventor Ernst Alexanderson from his laboratory in Schenectady, NY, and received at his house on Adams Street in Schenectady

A witness described the first images as "...the face of a man, smoking a cigarette, on the little screen looks like it had been made with x's on the typewriter.  It was very crude and wavered from side to side..." The monochrome image was not the black and white TV most of us are familiar with, but shades of pink.

Notable events at WRGB

  • January 13, 1928: First experimental broadcast.
  • May 10, 1928: First regularly scheduled broadcast, a news program aired twice daily, three days a week.
  • August 22, 1928: First remote news broadcast. Alfred E. Smith is shown from the State Capitol in Albany accepting the Democratic nomination for President.
  • September, 1928: The first dramatic television presentation, The Queen's Messenger is aired. There are four television receivers in the area.
  • February 26, 1942: The station officially receives its license as WRGB, named for Walter R. G. Baker, a GE vice president and engineer involved in setting up the station.
  • September 12, 1954: WRGB broadcasts the first color television program from NBC.

Thanks to (and much more information at) http://www.wrgb.com/tv6info/history/history.asp.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.