The concept of distributing information to a large number of people using technologies such as television, radio, or IP broadcast.

"Were you, like me, brought up on listening the the radio? Or do you prefer more modern ways of communication? How do you broadcast your news? And how do others broadcast to you?" Today's prompt.

I was not brought up on radio. More record player. No television until I was nine, and I think my parents mostly got their information from newspapers. And they discussed articles and ideas...

But the deeper answer to this question is that mostly I don't.

I am introverted and shy. I also failed small talk in school very early and learned to shut up. I was comfortable talking in my family and would talk to friends after I'd known them for years. We moved every 2-5 years while I was in school so my peer friends were really my sister and cousins. When we moved, I pretty much would only talk to teachers for the first year. After a year, I might try to make a friend, having studied everyone. After a year, they might or might not be interested.

I got to know one woman from high school after we'd graduated. After a while she said, "I thought you were shy in high school." I laughed and said, "No, I just didn't talk." This is really about opinions: I was way more opinionated than she realized and when I got comfortable enough to talk, I can talk a lot.

I also found that smart women are not admired, so I hid it. There are different ways of hiding it: mine was to be multi talented. I played instruments, scored equally well on the math and english of the SAT, read voraciously, and mostly talked to adults. My parents' house had a wild array of interesting and unconventional adults. Artists, trumpet players, singers, world travelers, university professors, rich women, poor women, beggerwomen, thieves, doctors, lawyers, native chiefs. I didn't discover sports until college, other than hiking, skiing and swimming. My high school had no swim team.

My daughter complained about small talk in preschool. Why were kids she didn't know talking to her? And why did they talk to each other when the teacher was talking? If everyone would just shut up and listen, they could move on to more interesting topics. I sympathize but also think that we all have to live with and care about each other. So how do we do that when we are so different?

In clinic all of my patients are smart. I treat them all as smart and the result is they ARE all smart. Now, that doesn't mean that they immediately do smart things like quitting smoking or quitting drinking a 6 pack of coke a day or quitting eating too many donuts....But change is incremental. It is hard to change.

Also, all of my patients ARE smart, about something. It could be car engines or church organs or comic books or Russian. I have an elderly woman who is fluent in Russian and feeling rather lonely. Another turns out to be a silversmith, though her lungs won't tolerate it now.

I had a new patient recently who said that she didn't understand what I was on about. I slowed down, explained the meaning of some of the words, and I think she understood. At least some of it. I am very happy that she felt comfortable saying, "I don't know what that word means." I was talking about a pathology report and needed to back off and define the words. I feel the same way when I talk to my accountant: wait, what does that word mean? I don't know the language. I need bookkeeping for dummies...

I wish that we all broadcast that everyone is smart. Imagine what it will be like when we all assume that everyone has secret talents and genius.


Iron Noder: Tokyo Drift 20

Broad"cast` (?), n. Agric.

A casting or throwing seed in all directions, as from the hand in sowing.

 

© Webster 1913.


Broad"cast`, a.

1.

Cast or dispersed in all directions, as seed from the hand in sowing; widely diffused.

2.

Scattering in all directions (as a method of sowing); -- opposed to planting in hills, or rows.

 

© Webster 1913.


Broad"cast`, adv.

So as to scatter or be scattered in all directions; so as to spread widely, as seed from the hand in sowing, or news from the press.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.