Several universes, each with an assortment of worlds, allows the Grinch to live many different lives simultaneously. The atoms and molecules in these universes are capable of creating many different forms and shapes for the Grinch. In one world, he could be an amorphous mass of gelatinous ooze while in another he could be a seraph of unspeakable beauty. With different molecules and atoms comes different personalities and different goals. The following paragraphs describe three beings with the same shape and the shared desired to bring a halt to the advent of Christmas,however, the similarities stop here, for each Grinch has their own reason to put an end to this religious holiday. One Grinch detests Christmas because he did not receive milk from his mother’s mammary glands, the second Grinch is an economic determinist who believes he can prove his theories with the abolishment of this holiday, and the final Grinch is a disillusioned Calvinist who believes he can gain comfort by stealing the presents of the Whos.

In one world, the Grinch does not have a nuturing mother. Because his mother refused to breast feed him when he was a neonate, the Grinch has allergic reactions due to the mistletoe wreaths, Who-pudding, and Who-roast-beast. The Grinch suffers from the worst case of lactose intolerance ever recorded in medical journals. In fact, his condition is such an anomaly that scientists want to preserve his body in formaldehyde for future biological studies. If the Grinch practiced optimism and philanthropy, he might agree with the terms of the scientists, realizing that he would be immortalized while at the same time giving researchers a means to finding a permanent cure for extreme allergies. The Grinch, however, believes in the virtue of selfishness. Altruism will only have a detrimental effect on society, for people will expect handouts instead of working diligently to get ahead in the market place. Moreover, the Grinch’s allergies have also affected his psyche. The Grinch suffers from self-induced rejection syndrome, causing him to seek solitude in the mountains away from the creatures of Who-ville who he believes would banish him if his malady was disclosed to the masses. In the head of the Grinch, the final solution is clear: Christmas must be stopped permanently. There would no longer be aromas emanating from Who-pudding and Who-roast-beast to make him violently ill, and the scent of mistletoe would no longer make his head spin. During Christmas one year, the Grinch experienced just a minor case of vertigo that almost caused him to fall while pondering mortality on a precipice near his home. This event in itself is enough of an argument to convince the Grinch to terminate Christmas. In addition the Grinch’s mental health would improve with the abolishment of Christmas, for he could walk around Who-ville without constantly fearing that the denizens of the town would see the boils that are induced by the allergies that come with the food and ornaments of the season.

In another world the Grinch has established himself as an economic determinist with a god complex. For many years the Grinch has been observing the growth and development of Who-ville. He has made careful records of the gross income and the standard of living. In addition, he connected the decrease in the infant mortality rate with the increase of minimum wage. In this closed and isolated capitalistic system, the Grinch began to equate happiness with a stable economy. The Grinch concluded that the following is true: without the influences of external forces, the men and woman of Who-ville will maintain a perpetual level of happiness as long as they can acquire material possessions. Moreover, as the Grinch made his observations over they years, he began to see himself as a god-like being, for he believed that he obtained the knowledge that would allow him to understand the inner-workings of society. Now, the Grinch is convinced that his knowledge of the economy allows him to see beneath the surface of Who actions. The Grinch sits on his Mount Olympus and decides that he can test his economic theories while being the deterministic force that dictates the lives of the men, woman, and children, of Who-ville. The Grinch reasons that the ultimate test of his theories and powers could be conducted if he takes Christmas from his underlings; the Whos. The Grinch steals every material possession in Who-ville while in the guise of Santa Claus. The Whos wake up without making cries of dismay when they see that their presents are missing. This outcome is a complete surprise for the Grinch, and he becomes more perplexed when the Whos sing to celebrate Christmas day. The Grinch realizes that happiness cannot be packaged, and his godhood is only a delusion because he exerts no power over the emotions of the Whos.

In the third world, the Grinch is a disillusioned Calvinist. Like all the disciples of John Calvin, the Grinch believes in predestination and original sin. However, unlike the Calvinists, the Grinch has grown weary of following a strict moral code when he knows that he is damned ab ovo. Also, the Grinch knows that he is not one of the "chosen" that Calvin speaks about so ardently when pontificating about his concept of predestination. The Grinch decides that he should make his time as a mortal as comfortable as possible, for when he "shuffles of this mortal coil," he will spend an eternity in perdition as payment for all his sins committed during his lifetime and the omnipresent original sin. With this in mind, the Grinch realizes that Who-ville contains a plethora of material possessions that could bring comfort to his hard life. During Christmas Eve, the Grinch could acquire enough presents and food to last him until the next Christmas. He would no longer be forced to live in a constricting shack, and he could weather the frigid snow storms with warm clothes and a fire generated from burning the Christmas trees of the Whos. The Grinch could bring a slice of heaven into his dismal existence. By stealing Christmas from the Whos, he would be giving himself a present that would allow him to feel joy and contentment for the remainder of his days.

A little to the right of Elysian fields in the middle of the milky way, a worm hole exists as a nexus to world of the Grinch without his mother’s milk. The second Grinch, the economic determinist, can be found if an observer carefully follows the path of light emitted from the pulsar in the crab nebula. The ex-Calvinist Grinch can be located only if a person can tunnel through their mind into the constantly changing universe of church beliefs.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.